is my BRISKET DONE??? HELPPPP!!!!

DirtyDirty00

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
ok so I have had my brisket in since 630am. It was a 17 lber.

I've had the temp between 275-300 most the time.

I foiled for many hours and around the 180 IT I unfoiled to try and get bark.

When I probe it now it seems tough. Not like butter. But I'm not sure what like butter means.

I did the night train brisket and when I probed that it seemed tough. But it was tender when I ate it. This brisket now feels similar.

ALSO. When I lift the flat up I can see the meat grains all fraying apart.
The ends r very soft and crumbly when I poke them.

Is my brisket done???

It's not done.

Pull @ 195 internal, and wrap and rest for a few hours.

OH... and when you wrap, wrap it in foil, and then put several towels around it to keep the heat in. You need to do this quickly, so it doesn't cool off.

If you're looking for bark and you're already around 180... you may need to keep bark as a goal for your next cook. Ain't happenin this time.

The secret for good bark? Plenty of rub, fat cap down, and do NOT open the cooker for at least 8 hours. If you're cooking at 225-235 degrees, plan on 1.5 hours per pound.

DO NOT OPEN THE SMOKER AND LOOK.

Trust me on that.

I unwrapped the brisket at 180. It's been on for bout 1-1.5 hrs since. At multiple spots

However now when I'm probing its saying lower. But maybe that was a bad reading. I'll probe again in 20 min.

When you did the experiment did you like the texture? If so, and this feels like that did then I think you are done. If you thought it needed to be more tender then cook it a little longer, but be careful because as soon as that flat reaches perfection you are on the clock as far as it drying out.

I would pull it, separate the flat and rest it while you continue to cook the point.

from 180 till done really wont create much bark. just leave it in the foil next time. as far as now. if it dont slide in with no resistance its not done

I unwrapped the brisket at 180. It's been on for bout 1-1.5 hrs since. At multiple spots

However now when I'm probing its saying lower. But maybe that was a bad reading. I'll probe again in 20 min.

Get you a temp proble you can insert into the meat... and leave in.

That way, you know the exact temp without opening the smoker.

Lotta this is experience. When you've cooked long enough, you won't feel the need to open & look. Everytime you do, you put yourself back 30 minutes.

This is what I thought. However when people say butter I feel like that means slides in not only smoothly but as if I almost sliding it into air. Like nothing.

But when I did the night train it didn't feel like that. It felt like I had to push it in. Kinda like now. But its def not at 190+ IT right now.

I'll keep it on.

This is what I thought. However when people say butter I feel like that means slides in not only smoothly but as if I almost sliding it into air. Like nothing.

But when I did the night train it didn't feel like that. It felt like I had to push it in. Kinda like now. But its def not at 190+ IT right now.

I'll keep it on.

A lot of cooks here have a TON of experience, They can look at meat, and feel it, and know exactly where they are with it.

My take? We're living in a world with cheap, accurate thermometers. Why not take advantage of that?

Being a scientific cook will jumpstart the novice, and may save the master from making a mistake once in a while.

To me, that's all good!

You will know the "Like Butter" feeling once you find it. Poke through the outer bark and it goes in real easy. You barely have to apply pressure to push it in. That's done.

Pappy would know. He's one of those who knows exactly what he's doing.

Gotta head out now. Lotta knowledgeable folk here to help. Listen to em.

A lot of cooks here have a TON of experience, They can look at meat, and feel it, and know exactly where they are with it.

My take? We're living in a world with cheap, accurate thermometers. Why not take advantage of that?

Being a scientific cook will jumpstart the novice, and may save the master from making a mistake once in a while.

To me, that's all good!

I agree to a point, but briskett is not done by temp alone. sorry but you can't just pull at 190 like its a magic number and expect it to be the same every time.
Leave it alone to about 190, then start checking it by feel.

I can almost guarantee that when that flat is done the point wont be. This has always been my experience. I would really think about separating and resting.

I think your brisket is well done. Many people say you have too cook to 180-190 but I usually pull mine as low as 150. The higher quality the better.

I think your brisket is well done. Many people say you have too cook to 180-190 but I usually pull mine as low as 150. The higher quality the better.

150? Brisket? Shoe leather for sure. :crazy:

even with a wagyu there is no way you have quqlity tender brisket at 150

I would have to agree 150 is way to soon. I keep it till 190-195 plus the probe test

my brisket is not done till 190 to 210. after the first time feeling the butter push it is not hard to tell when the probe slides in easily after that but until you feel it once I don't know how to help with that. Also when I foil I add one cup of beef broth to keep it moist and flavorfull. I love the drippings so I save them!!!!

Back