Coffee in brisket rub

I've done it. It was ok. I have also put cocoa In rub and it was ok too. My wife is a coffee drinker and I thought she would like the coffee rub but she prefered the cocoa rub.

I saw it on TV once and thought about trying it. Then I remembered it would just end up tasting like coffee.................. I can't imagine it does much.

Coffee in rubs is great. you don't get a heavy coffee flavor at all (depending on how much you put in).

I really like it as do others who have eaten my Q.

Coffee in rubs is good.
You don't get a coffee flavor per se, rather to me it was more of a deep earthy flavor imparted to the meat.

I haven't used it in a rub but I have used it in a sauce. I've been experimenting with some new rubs so I may have to try one with coffee just to see for myself.

I've done it. I think it is better on pork (like a pork tenderloin). You really need an extremely fine grind (like an espresso grind). Otherwise the coffee bits will be noticeable since they won't soften as the rub hydrates.

I've done it. I think it is better on pork (like a pork tenderloin). You really need an extremely fine grind (like an espresso grind). Otherwise the coffee bits will be noticeable since they won't soften as the rub hydrates.

Ron, you have to recuse yourself due to your coffee bias!! :twisted:

I usually get that "deep earthy flavor imparted to the meat" Harbormaster talks about when I drop the damned stuff on the ground!! :cool:

I've seen coffee used but have never done it myself. My wife doesn't like me "messing" with the que...so I'll have to try it some weekend when she's off with the girls!! :mrgreen:

I was wondering if you get that deep flavor. I love coffee rubbed steaks but didnt know if the increase in cooking time would still maintain that same flavor profile of the coffee.

I actually use instant.

I do it basically every time I do a brisket. I use equal parts fine ground coffee and butt rub.

My favorite brisket rub recipe prior to me switching to my current layered non-recipe method had coffee in it. It worked very well I thought.

I use it as a liquid, meaning strong instant on briskets.No coffee taste per say. Have not tried on pork. I've learned that trick from more than one Texan. Steve.

Just tried Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express rub on some brisket the other day , it has coffee in it . I must say it was some good stuff ! The rub is a keeper...

Back