• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Two Great Rubs - Throwdown! (Pron)

Mister Bob

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Simply Marvelous Cherry and Plowboys Yardbird. Two great rubs side by side on ribs. I used a couple of rubs I'm very familiar with on the tips for comparison, Cimarron Doc's Sweet Rib Rub and my own Mister Bob's Blue Ribbon Spice Rub.

Starting from the bottom, it's Plowboys, Simply Marvelous, Cimarron Doc's and my own.
RibPractice80000001.jpg

Same order from left to right after the spices have had some time to penetrate.
RibPractice80000002.jpg

I fired up Big Red and set the CyberQ II to 275. When the temperature settled in, the ribs and tips went on.
RibPractice80000006.jpg

RibPractice80000005.jpg

RibPractice80000004.jpg

RibPractice80000003.jpg

I used Johnny Trigg's method today, so after one hour, I squeezed some Parkay margarine on top.
RibPractice80000007.jpg

After two hours, they were wrapped with some honey and raw cane sugar (Johnny uses light brown sugar I believe), and back on the cooker for another two hours.
RibPractice80000008.jpg

RibPractice80000009.jpg

Here's how they turned out.
RibPractice80000012.jpg

RibPractice80000013.jpg

RibPractice80000015.jpg

This is the whole spread including the tips and a few chicken thighs I threw on. I had lot's of empty space on Big Red!
RibPractice80000016.jpg

So the final verdict...Both rubs lived up to their reputation and were really excellent! Predictably, the Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub was sweeter and the Yardbird was more savory. Both were really good and while the Simply Marvelous complimented my new black cherry rib glaze very well, the Yardbird provided an excellent counterpoint. Both compared very well to my old standards too. I have 5 weeks to make a final decision before showtime at Pork in the Park in Salisbury, MD! Decisions, decisions, decisions...

If the other competitors see these photos you may end up alone in the competition. I mean, why bother? They look perfect.

Back