Doing a Hot and Fast Brisket this week (friday)

Michael Cowley

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
so the process will attempt to go something like this...

1. Pull out of fridge thursday trim fat, inject with Beef Stock, worsey, soy, evoo mixture (if my Butchers BBQ injection doesnt come in time)
2. Slather with some EVOO and rub it down
3. Wrap it up and put her to bed until about 4 am Friday
4. Get up at 4am fire up the smoker and give it an hour and change to come up to 300 degrees
5. throw meat on smoker at 300 and watch the temps in flat and point for 170 degrees
6. At 170 degrees pull it out and toss in some BP and take it to around 203-205 and start probing for tenderness.
7. When tenderness is achieved pull it drain it wrap it in a towel or 2 and toss in cooler for 2-3 hours.

I am estimating about 6-8 hours for this cook.

Heres the player

13.84 Packer

3e7g.jpg

Nice thick flat and good marbeling

7exp.jpg

Look at the pliability on this bad boy

t4q.JPG

Nice looking brisket. I'm guessing it will take a bit more time than you have, but you have it covered with the time allocated for resting.

Gonna stay tuned to this station.

I figure ill trim about 1.5lbs of fat off of it so it will be 12lbs at 300 I'm saying gonna take bout 7 hours so if I start at 4 it will be off by 1100 and rested by 1300 and ready to eat by 1301

I think your plan looks pretty good. Don't be afraid to bump the temp up to 315 or so if its cooking a little too slow. With the injection etc you'll be golden. Let us know how you make out

H and F brisket

I just did my first h and f briskest yesterday.
Cooked two on my 22" wsm. Did a 7 and 8#
Cooked at 325-345 for 3 hours till 165 internal
Foiled and when 2 hours till 200 internal
Put one on the counter for 30 minutes
And the flat was tender the end was super nice.
The other I put in a cooler for 3 hours and it was incredible
The time in the cooler really made the second one even better
I firmly believe in h and f !

Last edited:
Injecting is a waste of time,everything that brisket needs god already put in it. Forget about the meats temp cook to probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat.( If the thickest area of the Flat is probe tender the Point will be too). Go 4 hrs fat cap down at 300 wrap it in BP. continue to cook fat cap up. it will go probe tender in the thickest part of the flat in less than 2 hrs. Rest it two hrs or until the internal temp has dropped to 150 before slicing.

BBQ RULES for SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Dawg, you're a purist. I'm working toward that kind of confidence in my technique, slowly and I hope, surely. I am planning on switching from foil to butcher paper, once I use up the last of the food service-size box I picked up at Sam's. My problem is I can't seem to find a roll of butcher paper less than a thousand feet in length and about $50 in price. I would like to try a few cooks with the BP before I invest that much dough in paper. Anybody know where I can get a shorter roll of the red BP that Aaron uses in his videos? Thanks.

Last edited:
Injecting is a waste of time,everything that brisket needs god already put in it. Forget about the meats temp cook to probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat.( If the thickest area of the Flat is probe tender the Point will be too). Go 4 hrs fat cap down at 300 wrap it in BP. continue to cook fat cap up. it will go probe tender in the thickest part of the flat in less than 2 hrs. Rest it two hrs or until the internal temp has dropped to 150 before slicing.

BBQ RULES for SUCCESS

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

i dont do hot and fast, but i highly agree with no injecting, salt and pepper and like Blud said, god gave it what it needs to taste good.

Back