Salutations from Portland Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pdxRandy

I am an older gentleman that has retired and started to learn and enjoy the craft of slow cooking. Years ago I build several very large pits for some good ol'boys out of East Texas. We use large air receivers (tanks) for the projects, they were used at company picnics for a plywood mill. Before that I had spent some time in East Texas and had a fair understanding of what they big pits could turn out.

I bought a Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB and got started. My first thought was "Do I want to build one, have the tools, have the know how or do I want to just pony up some cash and start cookin?" Lowe's ended the disucssion with a sale last month.

I am learning, starting slow. Have done BB Ribs enough times that I feel comfortable with that cut of meat to move on. Everytime I fire the pit I learn something. I must also admit that I am not an in the house kitchen cook either so my learning curve is more like a spike than a curve.

Open to all information and willing to learn.

Having some background as a metal fabricator and as a millwright working on large heat cells for burning sander dust to heat veneer dryers gave me some ideas on my pit. I siliconed all the fastners and between the SFB and the main body basicly to stop grease from cooking out and making a mess and to O2 into the firebox, maybe I wasted my time, remember I am a retired millwright with lots of time. It was not level and the grease didn't drain so I fixed that. Looking at changing the stack from on top of the lid to into the bottom of the base. Does any one have background doing this mod and did it work.

I also have an old 1960 vintage komado that my Dad had a buddy of his bring back from Japan. IMHO this old girl is my patio "Queen". I think I cooked more Thanksgiving turkey on it that Dad cooked total. It is like brand new, one crack in the upper rig but she still has the factory refractory grout showing that it has never been taken apart. I just can't come to use the old girl. It would break my heart if she broke, yea I know run um' hard and when she breaks get a new one, well this green and orange ball has been in the garage or on the patio for fifty years of my live and some something will not let me fire it.

Thanks Brothers for letting me come and play with you folks.

Welcome to the addiction... Remember, there is no 12 step program for us!!!

BTW, there are plenty of guys that fix the old ceramic cookers. I'm sure that they'll speak up soon...

Welcome to our version of OCD (Outdoor Cooking Disorder)! Always nice to get another brother from the Pacific NorthWet...

Howdy Randy, and welcome to our little slice of BBQ heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back