Assassin 28....picked it up yesterday!

Yep! Line the grease catch with foil, and clean up will take minutes. I scrape the racks after every cook. After it cools I determine to replace the foil. I like a fairly clean cooker (especially around the grease catcher) so I will replace the foil every couple of cooks depending on load.

Congrats on the new cooker!

Oh! and I've had mine for a year, and it just keeps getting better (as it seasons)

Hi all,

I have had my Assassin 24 for approx. 2 months now, it is a great smoker.

Have done following on it:

Chicken
Ribs
Summer sausage
Bacon
Brisket

All of it turned out great, but I am still working on the smoke flavor. I started out adding a couple of chunks to the ash pan, but it did not give much flavor, so I mixed it in the chute instead and got more flavor. But it seems that when I am using the water pan the flavor is not as strong, have you had that issue as well?

I have the paint peeling off behind the door for the ash pan, under the lid for the chute and in the left corner of the door for the smoke chamber. Have any you had that problem as well or have all of you the high heat paint at those spots and would you think it is something you could paint yourself?

Hope that it is not too old for you guys to see this post.

I've had my Assassin for about a year and a half. Mine also has some paint lifting under the chute lid and around the main door but nothing I'm very concerned about.

Give Jeff or Robin a call and see what they suggest.

We have found that if you use the water pan, add chunks, and use lump charcoal. All of these combined gives us great smoke flavor.

Thanks BBQWizard, do you add the wood chunks in the chute or in the ash pan? I already use lump charcoal.

Thanks BBQWizard, do you add the wood chunks in the chute or in the ash pan? I already use lump charcoal.
I put them on a small rack that rests on the ash pan. Doing so prevents the chunk from smothering before it burns completely.

Ohh, that sounds like a great idea. Do you mind sending a picture of that setup? How many chunks would you normally add to a cook(fx brisket).

Ohh, that sounds like a great idea. Do you mind sending a picture of that setup? How many chunks would you normally add to a cook(fx brisket).
I add 2 (fist size) per hour until it reaches 140 degrees. That is my personal choice.

Back