Brisket Hot and Fast?

D

drewcountry

So I'm Q'n for my staff at work and I figured that a brisket is the only way to go. I made a mistake about two years ago and let my smoker get hot while I was mowing the lawn. It was running about 350 for 2 hours (big yard) when I caught it. I checked the temp of the meat and it was done. To my shock it was really good. I have heard there is a better science to smoking hot and fast. Can anybody give me an idea of some times and degrees for this? I don't want to just try this by luck again. I am serving for lunch and I don't have the time to smoke for 18-22 hours. Any help from some Brethren?

Big Drew's BBQ

I have not done one that way, yet. But try going to the bottom of the page on the forum and do a Google search (searches within the Brethren Site) and type in "Hot and Fast Brisket"

I don't know enough to say that hot & fast is "better" science, but I do know that it produces brisket that is pretty darn good.

The last 1/2 packer I cooked (the flat end) was finished in 5-5.5 hours. I have no idea what the temperature was...I just cooked it where the pit was cruising (and it was pretty hot to the touch).

Beef can tend to shrink a bit more under high temps than low. So be aware of that.

I did a 12lb whole packer on my 22.5" wsm at 285-300* and it was done in about 8 hours. Best of luck!

Back