View Single Post
Old 10-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
BDAABAT
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Bruce

It seems that most of the time when I have a hard deadline for a meal and think that I have a clue about how the meat will behave, the dreaded stall rears it's ugly head. Sometimes, the cook turns out fine...the butts break down beautifully and everything comes together perfectly. Sometimes, the stall hits and you end up keeping people waiting for food. To me, people waiting for food can be really frustrating for everyone.

I prefer to have things prepared and ready to go rather than wait around anxiously watching the thermometer. That to me isn't a fun time and the point of the experience is to have a good time and to provide something special for people.

All of which means that like BadgerBob, I try to allow for at least 10 hours of cook time (preferably 12) for bone in butts. If they get done early, no problem! Pull and keep in a warm cooler or a low temp oven for a couple hours. They'll be really easy to break down. And, if they take longer than you expect to cook, you have some buffer time built in.

Good luck with the shin dig! Post pics!

Bruce
Blackstone pizza oven
Blackstone 36" griddle
Weber gas grill
BDAABAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->