How to cut St Louis Style Spares (Tutorial)

Well done, Bob. I agree that removing the flap meat is the best first step and from there the steps don't really need to fall in any particular order as long as all the steps are taken.

Between contests and practice sessions, I trimmed about 200 racks of ribs in 2010 and, although a simple process someone with a lot of experience, you really can forget how befuddling this practice is for someone doing it for the first few times. This tutorial will help many people.

I usually cook my tips and scraps as others have mentioned. When you grind them, do you throw them in cartillidge and all? I'm getting ready to make some sausage in a week or so with a couple frozen boneless butts, maybe I can stretch it a bit with some of the rib trimmings in my freezer?

thanks! that saved me from having to watch a video!

Been wanting to try St Louis style spares and your excellent tutorial convinced me give it a try. Cut those up like I actually knew what I was doing. The great thing about bbq'n is the practice to get them right. The cutting was good but i'm going to need to practice the cook more. Thank you very much.

I usually cook my tips and scraps as others have mentioned. When you grind them, do you throw them in cartillidge and all? I'm getting ready to make some sausage in a week or so with a couple frozen boneless butts, maybe I can stretch it a bit with some of the rib trimmings in my freezer?

You certainly could add some rib meat to the mix for sausage. I remove the cartilage before I grind. As you can see in the pictures, from a 5lb rack of spares, I wind up with just about a pound of meat for grinding, the rack of St. Louis spares and a nice piece of the rib tips for smoking.

A great tutorial. Exact same steps I use. However, recently I have had Fischers Meat Market trim them for me.

Now locate the longest bone on the rack and insert the tip of your knife.

Why is it the obvious is most often missed? Learned something today. Thank you, Sir!

Roger

My last attempt
IMG_0431.JPG

Last edited:
Fantastic information here. As soon as I get my UDS done I will be cooking up a few racks, especially knowing how to cut them up right now!

Really great post Bob! Exactly how I do them and personally I think that Spares done in this fashion are better (and cheaper) than baby backs. I'll never forget the first time my wife looked at that big cryo packed slab of meat and bones and turned her nose up saying..."I only eat baby back ribs"... 6 hours later she agreed they were just as good (if not better) than any baby backs she had tried and best of all...cheaper. (She loves a deal.)

I'm slapping my forehead for not thinking of grinding the skirt and other trimmings! :doh: I usually just throw them on and cook them until they are about the texture of jerky...love it, but would also like to try the meatball idea.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Great pics, awesome post. I remember needing this lesson not very long ago. Thanks from all the noobs wanting to learn.

I agree with everyone..........Awesome Info!!!! I want to try it. Thank you for taking the time for us noobs!!

Back