wadaya think? 1st presentation practice

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
hi guys. if y'all got a sec, let me know what you think of the meat presentation. this was my first time cooking all 4 in 1 night for turn in time and real comp quality. no boxes on hand, though. also, the pics look like the ribs and chicken are dark burnt, but really they were nice dark redish. anyway, any thoughts would be great.
thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I have no idea what I'm saying but;

Your pork bark is a bit dark.

Your brisket looks like the burnt ends, aren't burnt. And lay off the sauce on brisket.

Your ribs are too dark, foil them.

Your chicken is too dark.

I think it all looks real good! If you asking for scores.
1st pic of beef 8, but I almost go 7, those little chunks are dropping score
Pork 7 could be 8, add more chunks
Ribs, hard to tell by pic maybe 7?
Chicken by your PIC 6-7, if it's lighter in color as you say 7
It looks good either way

yeah, color of the pics is kinda off. everyhting was more the color of the whole rib slabs.
except for chickies, those were dark.

thanks guys, the comments are helping for sure.
chix need more attention to detail, both in prep and cook. but not a total failure, taste was gu-ood.
ribs, not sure why they look burnt. glaze was too thick, maybe that shows in the pic as burnt?
pork, yup, more chunks for sure. i think i'll present the whole MM next time. prob is need a slice to taste...maybe the bark was dark, i'll pay more attention as to when to butcher paper(no foil fellas).
brisket, less sauce, maybe, but this is for the northeast. we like some sauce so...but i see what your sayin. burnt ends, dude put some burnt showing will ya???!!! too small of peices, maybe, i was thinking delicious little morsels akin to an M&M, but beef flavored. the point is so fatty not sure i want that much fat into 1 peice. make ne sense? i dunno, i dumb.
thanks guys.

I think you would probably put a lot of seasoned veterans to shame. I think your brisket looks absolutely awesome. I agree that larger chunks would help - but that pic made my mouth water. If those were presented symmetrically on a good putting green you'd get a 9 from me. Pork also looked good. I am experimenting with larger chunks right now. Don't know if it would help - but that's what I'd do. Money muscle looked really good. 8.

Chicken looks like it could be great - but as presented the skin on some looks close to burnt. If they were really that dark I'd be generous with a 7 - but I'd give you the benefit of the doubt. Ribs are by far the worst pic - but trusting that they aren't that black looking I'd say with what you presented I give you a strong 7 and perhaps an 8 if they looked good in the box

That brisket and pork looks great. I would probably give them 9's. Ribs are a bit dark as you said, but probably a 7 from the pic as is. Chicken looks burnt, I'd probably give that a 6.

I like the pork and brisket, glad you posted this tohough cause that is about how i do my ends and the comments here helped (larger pieces for me )

I would not change a thing on the brisket and pork. The slices look like they are undercooked though. May just be the picture. Ribs are dark and I do not comment on chicken.!!!

There are a lot of guys out here with a hell of a lot more experience than me. But just my 2 pennies, Everything looks great btw, and im just throwing some critique out there. The brisket looks great, but too much sauce, possibly more slices and less burnt ends. Pork looks good, but put more in there, 8 slices of money muscle, fill up the box with chunks. Ribs, look good, but the top 3, the one in the middle definitely came from a different rack. The chicken you've already figured out. Remember, if you only have 6 pieces, there's 6 judges, but that last judge doesnt get to pick, he has to just take the last one. So giving at least 8 serves 2 purposes, making sure the last judge doesnt just have to "settle" for the last piece, and that the volunteers who aren't judging get fed. Looking good thou, keep up the good work!

thanks again everyone. i did pull the brisky off @ 185, but the temp probe was going into it like there was nothing even inside the butcher paper. then rested in coleman for 4 hours. to all my testers taste and tenderness were pretty spot on. pork i used to shred, this way is much better, but am having a little trouble getting those whole muscles off the bone gently without tearing them. chicken does need work, for sure. both prep and cook.
we'll see what some judges say this week-end. then i think cape cod is next. will certainly try to get to the battle later in the summer too!

but am having a little trouble getting those whole muscles off the bone gently without tearing them. !

That may be a sign that the pork isn't ready - unless you intend to slice those pieces. Unless the tearing you are referring to is the muscle falling apart instead of coming off the bone whole. I guess I'm thinking by tearing you mean the meat is still sticking to the bone thus it tears.

possibly, but the bone came out with a gentle tug. i think i just didn't handle the goods properly. but, looking at the smoke ring on the MM the pork maybe coulda used a bit more time on the cooker. oh, well, looks like i'll have to make another....

Increasing cooking time won't affect smoke ring at all. The effect is set in the protein before it reaches 150 degrees, so you could smoke that pork for a week and it's not going to change.

Increasing cooking time won't affect smoke ring at all. The effect is set in the protein before it reaches 150 degrees, so you could smoke that pork for a week and it's not going to change.

You sure about that? I agree that smoke flavor is only absorbed for the first few hours of the cook after which it starts to build up on the surface giving the meat an acrid taste. However we have seen smoke ring development on our WSM's throughout the cook. The smoke ring is not caused by the smoke itself but by the reaction between the nitrogen released by the burning wood, the oxygen in the air, and the hydrogen in whatever water is present forming nitrous acid which then reacts with the meat forming the smoke ring. We use full simmering water pans in our WSM's and young applewood and get beautiful deep smoke rings.

Last edited:
Brisket looks good. The pork looks good. You probably shouldn't have shown me the entire racks of ribs with the dry ends. The cut ribs in the pics look too dark, but, as you mentioned, that could be the pics.

The chicken is too dark and looks burned rather than nicely caramelized.

That brisket and pork look great! Are you required to pull the pork or can you turn in the money muscle with slices? First time ive seen this, which is why im asking. Thanks

That brisket and pork look great! Are you required to pull the pork or can you turn in the money muscle with slices? First time ive seen this, which is why im asking. Thanks

You can turn in pork however you like - pulled, chopped, sliced, chunked, mince meat - I don't recommend the mince meat route!

Back