Southern Dimension Trailers question

Robert

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with Southern Dimension trailers in Waycross, Georgia? Good or bad? Build quality? Integrity of the dealer.

Thanks,

Robert

I saw some of Scott's trailers when I was at his shop last month. He does fantastic work!

They're a Freedom dealer. If you want a Freedom cook trailer get ahold of Scott Smith at Southernqsmokers. He configures cook trailers all the time and knows the process cold. Why reinvent the wheel?

According to the guy I talked with, Southern Dimension build their own trailers. Do you suppose they build Freedom trailers as well? Price on Southern Dimension is extremely cheap compared to other trailers which gives me pause. Also, the weight is very light like 3600 pounds for a 24 foot box. Also, base price before add-ons is $5200.

For those with Freedom Trailers, how does this compare?

Just my $.02 from my trailer shopping last year: you get what you pay for.

The GA trailers are maybe a bit less IF you are in the SE, otherwise delivery will negate any savings over IN built trailers. Starting prices on GA trailers are usually very low, but they are the bare minimum and by the time you upgrade to the features a 'namebrand' trailer has, the prices are pretty close.

I bought a United 7x12 SA V-nose for $4K. A base GA trailer would have run about $2400. However, add vinyl walls and ceiling, bonded .030, two color sides, stab jacks, 16" wall uprights, 3500 Dexter axle with brakes, radials on aluminum wheels, spare tire, trim, etc and you end up at the same price.

I don't have a problem with either approach to the market, but don't just compare size and price.

Just my $.02 from my trailer shopping last year: you get what you pay for.

The GA trailers are maybe a bit less IF you are in the SE, otherwise delivery will negate any savings over IN built trailers. Starting prices on GA trailers are usually very low, but they are the bare minimum and by the time you upgrade to the features a 'namebrand' trailer has, the prices are pretty close.

I bought a United 7x12 SA V-nose for $4K. A base GA trailer would have run about $2400. However, add vinyl walls and ceiling, bonded .030, two color sides, stab jacks, 16" wall uprights, 3500 Dexter axle with brakes, radials on aluminum wheels, spare tire, trim, etc and you end up at the same price.

I don't have a problem with either approach to the market, but don't just compare size and price.

I added some up grades but forgot a few things as I was doing the phone call on the fly without writing down things and getting a complete list together. We are calculating with the add-ons that we missed the trailer would still be about $5,000 cheaper than the ones in Indiana. So, that is why I'm having trouble with it.

I understand getting what you pay for. That's why I was asking for feedback. Slamdunk mentioned they were a dealer for Freedom trailers, but I did not find that on their website. I guess I need to call the Southern Q guy and visit with him.

Thanks,

Robert

I added some up grades but forgot a few things as I was doing the phone call on the fly without writing down things and getting a complete list together. We are calculating with the add-ons that we missed the trailer would still be about $5,000 cheaper than the ones in Indiana. So, that is why I'm having trouble with it.

I understand getting what you pay for. That's why I was asking for feedback. Slamdunk mentioned they were a dealer for Freedom trailers, but I did not find that on their website. I guess I need to call the Southern Q guy and visit with him.

Thanks,

Robert

I'm just going by what I see on their website. If you look closely at most of the trailer pictures they have Freedom Trailer stickers on them. The easy way to find out is look at the VIN plate and see who's name is listed as manufacturer.

I believe Southern Dimension recently broke away from Freedom and has just started manufacturing their own trailers. Message rtboswell (Randy of Atlanta BBQ Store). He's planning on heading down to check out their facilities I think for his own trailer build.

I've talked to the owner of Southern Dimensions, Tracy Bennnett, quite a few times over the past two weeks and they no longer use Freedom Trailers for their builds, but instead are building their own trailers from the ground up. I thought they were just a Freedom dealer as well after perusing the website, but their are some older photos lurking their from when they bought and built out Freedom Trailers.

Unlike some of their other south GA competitors they offer a one piece roof, radial tires, all LED lightning, tubular frame construction and a few other features out of the box. The quote I received from Tracy was slightly higher than the quote I received from Freedom, but that's to be expected. Tracy is able to offer comparable pricing with some more out of the box features because he is building them out of his own factory and is managing costs well to keep overhead low.

I'm hoping to travel to Waycross sometime next week to check out the operation up close and personal. I'll post after that and if I get any more pertinent info from Tracy. If anyone has any specific questions or items they'd like for me to look for when I'm there PM me.

Back