• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beef Tongue Anyone?

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Was at a Sam's Club in Holland, MI yesterday and found myself looking at what I at first thought was a small whole beef tenderloin and it turned out to be a 3# beef tongue! The gal behind the meat counter asked if I liked tongue! Not quite sure how I should answer I decided disgression was the better option and replied that I had never tried Beef tongue. She proceeded to inform me that all you had to do was toss it in a crock pot, cover it with water and add a few cloves of garlic then let it cook on slow for 10-12 hours. She said it would be the tastiest, most tender meat I ever ate. Again I went with disgression. She said after you take it out of the crock pot you just peel away the fat and gross looiking stuff then slice across the grain. She said it was great for burrito's and taco's. Evidently it is a Latino staple along with cheeke(sp?) cow's head cooked in hole in the ground. I asked her if she ever smoked a beef tongue to which she replied no but I figure if you make it tender and tastey in a crock pot you ought to be able to achieve better results by smoking it so I bought two. Any of you out there ever try smoking a beef tongue?

I have had it served to me once before many years ago. It was boiled I believe, and it was very tender. I can't imagine why you couldn't smoke it.

In either Legends of Texas BBQ, or the Tex Mex cookbook by the same author there is a recipe for Lengua. I don't have either here at the house with me right now though. I think it was smoked, but I'm not certain.

Here is the way I do them. Very popular down at the local watering hole.

08f05c31.jpg

Tongue
Water
Beer – 1 bottle
2T chopped garlic
2 green onions, chopped
2 bay leaves
1t salt
2t black pepper

Soak tongue in salted water for 2 or 3 hours in the refrigerator. Drain and replace with fresh cold water and continue to soak overnight, changing water once more.

Remove from the refrigerator and simmer soaked tongue in water and beer to cover, with the seasonings above for 1-1/2 hours.

Remove tongue to cool, then peel skin and trim fat. Season with a no-sugar beef rub, paint with a coating of mustard, add a little more rub.

4a733215.jpg

Set up cooker for barbecue temperatures no higher than 250°, using pecan and apple wood. Add a slice of bacon on top. Prepare a basting sauce with apple juice, cider vinegar, oil, salt & pepper. Turn and baste every 30 minutes, moving the bacon to the topside on each turn. In about 2 hours the internal temperature will be 150°. Remove & cool.

Serve, sliced thin with horseradish sauce and/or ground mustard as an hors d’oeurve or on sandwiches.

Man, I haven't had tongue in a lot of years. My folks used to boil it and we'd eat it with horseradish. Smoked and encased in a horseradish paste...hmm... The only thing is I'd have to eat the damned thing all by myself! People are SO squeamish these days!

<cue the Poobah, stage left>

Tastes just like roast beef when done to a more tender point. We were going to do this, but ended up not. Boil for at least a couple of hours. Peel all of the skin off before you smoke. The skin on the tongue will probably act as a barrier. Then trying smoking how ever you like. Haven't had tongue in a long time. Gonna have to find me one.

Jorge said:
In either Legends of Texas BBQ, or the Tex Mex cookbook by the same author there is a recipe for Lengua. I don't have either here at the house with me right now though. I think it was smoked, but I'm not certain.

Found it in Legends of Texas BBQ. Says put in crockpot on high for 5 hours, turn over, then low heat for 5 hours or so until tender. Recipe is for one pound tongue though. Spices are salt, pepper, garlic & onion.

Lengua was a every sunday type of meal for me when i lived in Texas. I would put one in the crock pot before i went to bed and i would wake up to Lengua tacos in the morning. Awesome!

frognot said:
Found it in Legends of Texas BBQ. Says put in crockpot on high for 5 hours, turn over, then low heat for 5 hours or so until tender. Recipe is for one pound tongue though. Spices are salt, pepper, garlic & onion.

Sadly OldTimers is catching up with me....

funny, I just had some this morning very very tasty stuff.

ARLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG...

does that thing come in cryovac... ???chit... Why is it gray??

OMG..

OMG..

FARK...

WTF??

I am at a loss for words. Im gonna go make a salad. Cant we just call it brisket?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:tongue: :tongue:

That looks as disgusting as the recipe with the lamb's brains! Sorry, Neil and Neil. Just doesn't appeal to me.

BBQchef33 said:
ARLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG...

does that thing come in cryovac... ???chit... Why is it gray??

OMG..

OMG..

FARK...

WTF??

I am at a loss for words. Im gonna go make a salad. Cant we just call it brisket?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:tongue: :tongue:

THAT'S what I've been waiting for!!!

Damit Arlin

You screwed up my whole farking day, now, how the hell am I suppose to get my head out of the gutter?????

Togune is good. Sliced with pastrimi and corned beef - It makes a great hero and is a staple at many Jewish delis.

Here in So Cal/N. Mexico It is a big seller. At the local Taqueria's seems the nospeaks prefer it to everying else. Brains seem to be second.

I'm going to fix them this weekend. I'll cook one totally in the crock pot and the other I'll finish off smoking on the weber since the weather here is sucking big time right now.

Back