Meat is so much darker

Hozman

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Noticed going from my off set stick burner to my WSM my meat/bark is coming out extremely dark. Taste is good but appearance not so much and I plan on using this for comps this year.

Could I be doing something wrong? Just the way it is using charcoal/chuncks vs. straight wood? Just start wrapping everything once I get the pretty mahogany color?

ha, i started a thread on how to get the darkness. and here's a thread wanting to know how to not get the darkness. i love this place!

Maybe your WSM is not burning as clean as your offset. That or you have too much smoke. You can wrap, but I'd make sure you got a nice clean burning fire and not using too much wood.

are you using the minion method, are you using wood? is the wood dried? what kind of charcoal are you using? how are you lighting said charcoal? <---- questions that need answered!

I get that on my WSM with the longer cooks (Butts, Briskets). It tastes fine, not oversmoked or anything.

I don't like to foil/wrap, and I figure this is the tradeoff. But I'm not in comps either

are you using the minion method, are you using wood? is the wood dried? what kind of charcoal are you using? how are you lighting said charcoal? <---- questions that need answered!

Not using minion method. I place half lit chimney in. I like bringing temp up quicker and then turn GURU on. Using wood chunks. Use around 4-5 baseball size chunks and yes very dry. Buying commercial wood chunks. Using KB charcoal. using chimney to light KB with some paper. Not lighter fluid or crazy thin like that.

In the past I would put meat on soon as I added lit coals and thought fire not as clean so over the weekend I let WSM almost get to temp then added meat. Same effect.

An offset smoker filled with meat has a lot more moisture in the chamber which will prevent bark from getting to dark. I spritz ribs etc...in the WSM to keep this from happening. The water pan in the WSM is useless, its there to be able to use the lower grate.

Back