Questions about Brisket in Chili

umyaya

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
1) Flat or Point: I’m a big fan of the point but most chili recipes call for fairly lean meat.

2) I obviously would like to smoke it first. Do I cook it until it is finished or pull it early to let it finish while cooking with the rest of the chili? I wonder if the texture is ruined from being overcooked if already cooked brisket is essentially re-cooked with the chili.

3) Has anyone tried dumping a bunch of smaller burnt ends into chili?

Really, I'm looking for advice for what method has worked well for others.

Thanks.

1. You can use what you want, that the beauty of chili.
2. I've made Chili from leftover smoked meat (not just brisket) turns out fine texture wise. If I make Chili from scratch I sear in Dutch oven then put it on the pit to simmer.
3 . sounds delicious.

I am actually making brisket chili today. I am using the flat. On the advice of Chicagokp, I am going to smoke it for about 3 hours, cube it, and let it finish cooking in the chili.

I smoke the brisket just like always and use the leftovers for the chili.If I am going to smoke a brisket I find a big one so I have lots of leftovers. Point,flat,bark use it all. Have always gotten very good compliments on my chili.

I like to use all of the flat and a little bit of the point (save most of the point for slicing). I like the little bit of fat and oil that it adds to the chili. I would not do burnt end, but that is just me. I think the flavor profile is wrong for chili.

The chili I make for the restaurant uses burnt ends. The brisket I end up using is the stuff that I can't slice to make look good or that the staff has reheated and over cooked. Also if you let it cook in your chili, you don't know how long it is going to take to be done.

Briskies sound great for chili, but my all around favorite is still smoked butts, or, a little quicker, smoked country-style ribs. I will usually cook it all the way, then run it through the grinder before adding to the chili mixture. That sweet, smoky flavor of the pork really adds to the chili.

Like others, I use what ever is left over from the full packer that did not get eaten. For me the flavor profile makes the best chili. I also do it with shoulder or chicken. Beats anything you can buy.

Each brisket that we have at the house, what is left over gets vacuumed sealed with it marked as Brisket for Chili. So there is usually a mix of point and flat.

Be careful with the seasonings. The first brisket chili I made was way to salty because of the salt that was in the rub. Taste the chili after it is done, and then adjust the salt and pepper.

Back