Smoker trailer question

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
As you know, or may know, or don't give a crap....I have a spicewine mounted on a 4x8 trailer flat steel bed. The trailer that extended by the door openings gets absolutely a mess. Has anyone tried rhino lining their smoker trailer? Any thoughts or suggestions or points to think about? Scott

I haven't tried it, but I have thought about it for the ramp on my trailer. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Scott,
Not seeing your trailer, I don't know how much space you are dealing with or if it's something you stand on or not. Word is that Rhino and LineX get very slippery with grease on it - I've also read about others saying it's a pain to clean.

I'm envisioning that your smoker opens to the rear of the trailer and you work off the ground, but it has about a foot or so of space from the smoker to the rear of the trailer. (Just the image in my head) If so, have you tried putting anything down before the cook? I'm thinking one of the trays from an autoparts store for oil changes. I put one below my BWS for that reason - and it also catches all the coals/ash as I open the firedoor to reload. BWS and SW are very similar in this aspect. This might be something you can cut to size with some tin snips and removable for cleaning.

Zilla's beats the hell out of the big pieces of cardboard I put down when I do practice cooks in the driveway!

Mine has steel bar grating, the stuff industrial catwalks are made of.
Most anything falls through, and even wet tennis shoes won't slip on it.

Coals? Not a good idea. This stuff is Vinyl. You could have a super size sheet pan for the coals. This was a suggestion for grease and grime and the like. I think it could be made to work though.

Great stuff guys. The trailer is just as you described a the area directly behind the smoker is about 12 inches of flat deck. It's a prime grunge spot that gets grease as well as the odd hot coal. I was thinking of having a "tray" built I could slide on and act as a catch basin for debris. Being removable would make clean up easier. Maybe even stainless if I didn't think it would run hundreds of dollars. any more suggestions or success stories appreciated. Scott

Scott - along the lines you just noted, when I had the Spicebox I noted similar things of just keeping the firebox clear of drippings. I thought some type of magnetic ledge/guard/shelf would be ideal to keep everything below clean. This could be removed after the cooks and not permanently mounted.

If you never use the bottom rack - that could also be lined with foil or a pan, tray etc. and pull that out as a catch basin when needing to pull out the shelves above to tend to the meats there.

Most of the time I ended up resting an aluminum tray on top width of the firebox door and supporting it with my leg to catch the drippings and be there if I needed to remove the meat for any reason.

I then left a very thin, lightweight aluminum sheet on the ground as well

I use a shelf out of a sttel office cabinet under mine. Lightweigt, has lip and easy cleaning.

I use heavy duty red rosin builders paper. I tack down a piece to the floor of my trailer to catch all the crap, rub, grease and grit that falls out of the Spice, or off the racks. When I'm done, out she goes.

Back