overnight butt virgin no more = butt PRON!

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

17 pounds of boston butt in the bge for 14 hours with hickory chunks and jack daniels chips and i am not a big butt overnight virgin any more! whoohooooo!

and now... they rest.

firstovernightbutts-002.jpg

firstovernightbutts-003.jpg

firstovernightbutts-006.jpg

firstovernightbutts-002-1.jpg

firstovernightbutts-012.jpg

firstovernightbutts-014.jpg

aargh!
aargh.gif

Did you inject those beautiful bottoms before the smoke?
no injection. i'm all about keepin it simple and i feel the ceramic mass of the egg and it's moisture retaining qualities negate the injection option...
at least that's my theory anyway :biggrin:

I'm curious as to why you chose to cook them with the fat cap on the side.

I'm curious as to why you chose to cook them with the fat cap on the side.
that's a good question... i wasn't sure if both butts would fit in there without hitting the dome on the sides, so i stood them up on edge in the middle where the dome is higher. so here's yet another option to the "fat cap up or down" discussion, fat cap on the side please! :biggrin:

i saw butt virgin and thought that it should be in the woodpile.....whew

Really nice lookin coooker set up.
Very workman like!
ModelMaker

Nice butt ya got there:wink: :biggrin:

no injection. i'm all about keepin it simple and i feel the ceramic mass of the egg and it's moisture retaining qualities negate the injection option...
at least that's my theory anyway :biggrin:

Heheee. You're saying that now.... Wait till you try pumping your butt up with some sort of butt juice. :shock: It's partially for moisture and partially to get some flavor down deep instead of just on the surface.

You are right about the moisture retention of foods cooked on ceramic cookers, but if you start with more, you can retain more.

Heheee. You're saying that now.... Wait till you try pumping your butt up with some sort of butt juice. :shock: It's partially for moisture and partially to get some flavor down deep instead of just on the surface.

You are right about the moisture retention of foods cooked on ceramic cookers, but if you start with more, you can retain more.
you are gonna make me do it, aintcha :biggrin:

pretty good :biggrin:

firstovernightbuttII-006.jpg

firstovernightbuttII-005.jpg

thirdeye made me make this beer bread too!
firstovernightbuttII-002.jpg

When I saw 17 lbs of butt, I thought fer sure you were using a raised grate! But then again, It's Rick! The most Egg crammenest person on the planet! I'm always amazed at how much you get on the Medium! How long did they take to cook?

Brian

When I saw 17 lbs of butt, I thought fer sure you were using a raised grate! But then again, It's Rick! The most Egg crammenest person on the planet! I'm always amazed at how much you get on the Medium! How long did they take to cook?

Brian

14 hours for the larger one and about 13:30 for the smaller

had to stand em on edge to make it work. i was going to hold top tops apart with bamboo skewers, but it wasn't necessary. :wink:

Back