First Fattie

Brew&Cue

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt my first fattie this weekend and would like some feedback. Thought I would try something like a bacon weave, sweet Italian sausage with Canadian Bacon and smoked Gouda cheese as the inside most layer. I plan on smoking over indirect charcoal and hickory on a Weber 22" kettle with a water pan at 275 until my thermopen says it's done. I am open to any and all comments and suggestions, though as I really want this to turn out. Thanks, all!

Do your bacon weave on a diagonal and when you construct the bacon weave, start with a cross of bacon, crossed at the center, and work your way left/right and up/down from there.

Get your ends of the sausage closed up real good so you don't lose all your cheese.

Sounds like a good combo to me!

Thanks peeps! Great advice. Has anyone ever posted a video on this site showing how to do the bacon weave?

I like to use thin bacon, it crisps up nice. Also fatties don't benefit from low and slow cooking so I up the temp to 300-325F for a crisper outer layer. 275 works too, just might want to bump it up a bit for the finish.

Sounds like you've got a plan. It may be your first but it won't be your last.

Awesome advice y'all and thanks for the help. Cowgirl I didn't think about the temps to crisp the bacon - I doubt it would taste right with soft, soggy bacon.

Big George thought about a naked fattie but the weave is so cool - hope it won't be an epic fail for the first time. I guess, go big or go home :becky:

Thanks for the link Clint - I thought about looking in youtube but I wanted to make sure I followed the techniques of a BBQ Brethren.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm really thinking about trying my first fatty today.

Post some pics (as will I) even if you don't think it turned out. My weekend is busy building chicken houses but I still think there's time to do the fatty and some stuffed pork chops.

I did a couple recently...

Mushroom Swiss

MSFatty1_zpsf6fb34b2.jpg

2013-04-03_18-23-51_946_zps2fa35f40.jpg

Breakfast

Fattie1_zpsf29e15f4.jpg

Wow Beentown they look amazing! Really getting me fired up to do mine on Saturday! I'm thinking I will do the prep work on Friday after work just so I don't have to wait so long :becky:

Do you all use any beef in a fatty or just pork sausage, I have yet to do one. I guess beef makes it a meat loaf :)

Do you all use any beef in a fatty or just pork sausage, I have yet to do one. I guess beef makes it a meat loaf :)

Since Saturday will be my first I don't know if I have the right answer but I would guess that there is no right answer. I know traditionally a fatty would be a chub of pork sausage seasoned and smoked but I'm one that believes strongly that, while convention is good, creativity should rule. When I make beer I don't like thinking that an IPA needs to be made a certain way. Hamburger rolled in bacon sounds just as good as does pork sausage or Italian sausage. Just don't make beef meatballs or else you are making a Moink, i think.

Since Saturday will be my first I don't know if I have the right answer but I would guess that there is no right answer. I know traditionally a fatty would be a chub of pork sausage seasoned and smoked but I'm one that believes strongly that, while convention is good, creativity should rule. When I make beer I don't like thinking that an IPA needs to be made a certain way. Hamburger rolled in bacon sounds just as good as does pork sausage or Italian sausage. Just don't make beef meatballs or else you are making a Moink, i think.
It's a MOINK!!!! Don't let chambers or bigabyte see this! :wink:

The mushroom Swiss above was beef and the breakfast was sausage. They are so gooood!

Thanks for the kudos fellas.

Back