View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #26
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

I stick to the amateur competitions almost entirely because they are cheaper. All of the amateur comps I've been in cost less than $100 and most provide the meat to cook. They are one day affairs so all you need to get by is a UDS (or two), table and an EZ-Up. I can compete in a whole season of amateur events (5 or 6) for the cost one pro competition (including meat and supplies).

Two of the comps I participate in provide us with 10 slabs of ribs and we "sell" bones to the public. There is a judges' champion and a People's Choice champ. The local Lions Club provides the ribs and keeps all of the cash. There is nothing better than getting instantaneous “attaboys.”

Although there are hacks out there, competition at the top is tough at these events. Organizers also strive to get KCBS certified judges.

I think that amateur events are also less stressful and more fun. Even though it is a one day event, there seems to be more time to get to know your neighbors.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to go pro. Someday, I hope one of my four kids gets rich and bankrolls Dad’s BBQ dream. Until then, consider me an amateur.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->