First Contest-Nashville TN

bcis93

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am finnally taking the plunge! My cooking buddy Jeff & I will be competing the the Fiddlin, Brewin, & BBQin contest @ Opryland Hotel in Nashville TN this weekend. We were going to enter the Backyard contest but you can only cook ribs & chicken. We cook brisket & ribs so we entered the Pro division. I know we are in over our head but I am looking forward to a great learning experience and a lot of fun. Wish us luck!:razz:

There is no such thing as over your head. Millitant Squatter and his team Bad Bones BBQ Crew cooked their first contest and came in 15th overall out of 40 teams. Just do your best, don't expect miracles, have lots of fun and you never know. We all had to start somewhere. We are here to help you. With every contest you will learn more and more. Your fellow competitors will be very helpful too. Do it and enjoy yourself!:biggrin:

You'll do fine !!! Don't underestimate yourselves yet.... As Guy said, the primary goal for a rookie team is to have fun, learn as you go, and concentrate as things get close to turn in time. Don't expect to win the first time out but set a realistic goal based on where you think your product can get you (ex. wish to place in the top half or top third etc. overall or in a certain category) this way you don't become dissappointed if you don't get a call.

Sean and I spent a ton of time practicing to coordinate ourselves and agree upon what we thought would do well. Cooking on my own in my yard doing what I want and cooking with a partner are two different animals. Luckily we set groundrules early on and truly made it a team effort on the decision making and actual cooking/workload. That was a big help if you're not used to cooking with someone. Use each others strengths.

We had a blast, did better than we expected and are fully prepared for our next two contests this month (OK sorry......I still have the rookie team gloat of our 5th place walk in Pork !!!... Sue me !! I need something to take away the pain of my spoiled ribs that tasted like fish and took 35th)

Last edited:
That is really great! Have fun and stay cool...let us know how it all goes!

The guys and gals have steered you right.
Keep notes of what worked and what didn't :lol:
Have fun.

TIM

Good Luck!! Having just been in my first event, I can honestly say that you can't help but learn a lot. Don't be afraid to talk to other teams. Most are more than willing to help out new teams. I saw teams loaning other teams items that were forgotten and giving tons of advise. Make sure you give yourself time to prepare your turn in boxes. Put them in your vehicle, so you don't lose or dirty them, then you'll know where they are. Have fun.

Back