• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First real smoker.....

jshull

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been a gas guy until the beginning of the summer. I bought a cheap charbroil charcoal grill. Well it's a real pita. Today after cruising your forum most of the day I decided to go on the hunt. I found this on craigslist....
02779e7a32e14a26d3091f2804a0192f.jpg

60.00 and it's about 12 miles from me. We struck a deal and I pick it up tomorrow. The smoke box is 34x18 and the fire box is 17x16. It's all welded and made from 1/4 steel. The smoke box end is hinged for easy clean. I figure if it is a mistake I've had way bigger bar tabs! Thoughts though?

looks like a great deal to me!!

I would probably lengthen the smokestack. Might need other minor stuff but nice deal

make sure its not rusted out, take a screwdriver with you and try poking holes in the bottom of the firebox and smoke chamber

He seemed pretty strait and he said its solid, what's the purpose of lengthening the smoke stack?

Lengthening the stack will help promote draw and better air flow. I agree, that stack needs to be longer.

Gotcha, would size matter? I have a 3"x24" stainless tip off my truck.

Baffles and tuning plates I see now. I happen to have a friend in the metal business. I can see we will be doing some welding anyway.

Tuning plates are steel plates, they are designed to even out the heat in an offset cooker like that. In this case, the firebox is on the left side of the cooker

tuning.jpg

Nice buy, lengthen the stack

Great! I love pictures!
I guess my plans are
- Wire Brush/High temp paint
- Thermometers
- Chimney Extension(inside and out)
- Baffle
- Tuning Plates
- Charcoal Basket(perhaps minon method)

Great! I love pictures!
I guess my plans are
- Wire Brush/High temp paint
- Thermometers
- Chimney Extension(inside and out)
- Baffle
- Tuning Plates
- Charcoal Basket(perhaps minon method)

:thumb:

Great find! After you get all the mods done to it why not try just using wood, no charcoal? It's should make for a good stick burner.

Thanks guys I'm pretty pumped although the wife seems less then enthused! What's the best way to clean and maintain expanded metal grates?

Wife and Grates

Thanks guys I'm pretty pumped although the wife seems less then enthused! What's the best way to clean and maintain expanded metal grates?

Your wife will be happy, you just have to show her some love too. and for the expanded grates, I just scrap the big junk off with a brush, and then clean the inside of my smoker I get it hot( after a cook) and spray it down with water then wipe it out. Nice deal for $60.

Hopefully I can go full boar this week and have it ready by Saturday, I'd like to try out some Tri tip Sunday.

Back