And so the free cook begins...tri-tip prep

Hey I have to go to San Leandro to get some ground corn cob for my parrot cages. I'll follow my nose to the smoke...

You should be able to. Just get a butcher to hold it for you or otherwise they just grind them into burger or cube them for stew meat over here on our side of the country. I'm heading over to a butcher to pick some up today hopefully.
Thanks, next time I go see Doug I'll ask him to hold me some!:thumb:

Hate is a strong word, so lets just say I don't like you much right now. Lucky farker. Next you're gonna tell me they were $1.99 a pound or something.

torihamu_zpsb94fcbe1.jpg

Torihamu on the smoker. These are some pasture raised chicken breast, brined in a light maple and spice blend, then seasoned with a mixture of Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy, Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple and some Maple sugar. Rolling along at 225F.

No, those tri-tips were not $1.99 a pound, but, they were at $3 cheaper than the next two options. And even I don't deserve a $12 a pound top of the line tri-tip. If they had a Wagyu, maybe I would have bought one, for ME!

The Torihamu (chicken hams) are done and resting.
torihamu1_zpsa5bd1ec2.jpg

The tri-tips were rubbed up, fairly heavy, and are on the UDS at 225F.
tri-tips_zps61597eb8.jpg

My Brethren UDS sure makes these cooks easier, every time I use it, I think of the guys who made and gave it to me.

BTW, Dominoes was too good for these people, it is ridiculous what pizza costs nowadays Gore. I am sure that is why you have to treat your girls to eating at Japanese steak houses as well.

Never heard of torihamu before, is that the same as free-range or organic chickens?

Torihamu, literally means Chicken Ham in Japanese. When you cure chickens, then roast them, they are like little chicken hams. That is what I am shooting for here, I will be slicing and serving cold on rolls tomorrow.

I tie them like that, one breast turned 180 degrees from the other, it gives me a uniform mass to cook, which means I get more evenly cooked chicken and the thin tapered end of the breast doesn't dry out or get hard. These will slice very evenly, and yield 100% of the meat for slices.

Torihamu, literally means Chicken Ham in Japanese. When you cure chickens, then roast them, they are like little chicken hams. That is what I am shooting for here, I will be slicing and serving cold on rolls tomorrow.

I tie them like that, one breast turned 180 degrees from the other, it gives me a uniform mass to cook, which means I get more evenly cooked chicken and the thin tapered end of the breast doesn't dry out or get hard. These will slice very evenly, and yield 100% of the meat for slices.

Brilliant!

Are these whole breasts folded back together, or did you split them into halves first? Guessing whole based on size...but maybe you got some free range godzilla birds...

These are boned breasts from pastured chickens. The chickens are oversized. Each one of these represents a whole breast boned and then tied together. So, seven breasts total

Back