Formed pork entry

Teebody

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I saw a team turn in a pork entry yesterday that consisted of pulled pork formed into 6 balls with an ice cream scoop on the garnish. I asked them about it later and they related they were told by several experienced pros to do it that way??? To me, it looked like an unsuccessful hail-Mary shot. Anyone ever try this or hear of this before??

It is not the most common presentation, but certainly not new or unique.

The presentation pretty much limits you to presenting only pulled pork as your entry. To include a second different style of pork takes away from the visual aspect of having those uniform balls.

IMHO, you cannot come out on top today without presenting some sliced and/or chunks in the box as well. But of course, if it is not outstanding, you cannot put meat in the box just to take up space. The balls of pork would be appropriate where you have overcooked pork and trying to make the best of your presentation.

In the judging class I attended 2 years ago the pork was done just like this. Interesting...:roll:

If memory serves my correct, there was a thread a while back about someone that did the ice cream scoop with a piece of MM either on the bottom or on top, then some sauce over each pile. That teams entry was DQ'ed for possible marking.

wallace

I have seen it and asked why they did that... The team stated they do it only when they over cook their pork. They take the mush pork as some of us call it and mix it with more textured parts of the butt to add texture to it.
So to me it is a kinda hell marry shot for a touch down.

Every once and a while I will see ice cream scoop pork when judging. It usually does not go over well with most judges.

I would think that it would get cold a lot sooner than a full box of meat

I figured out how to make cup cake ribs......

3ZHY5_AS01

Cleaning all the ground bone off is the trick.

Back