landarc's pork dish, pork on pork.....

They are large roasts, 8 to 10 pounds, so carryover during the rest is considerable. 145F in the center, is going to carry to 155F to 160F easily.

after i cut into it the first time, i re-covered it and slid it in the (off) oven and a couple hours later, it was still hot. that was actually longer than i expected. i figured we would have to reheat it after we went swimming.

Congratulations on a great cook, BRAVO!!
It is always really cool when vets really get after it. You and landarc set the bar very high!

Silly maybe but, does the the skin cook to an edible state? It looks delicious!! Did it cook similar to a crackling without the puffyness?

Congratulations on a great cook, BRAVO!!
It is always really cool when vets really get after it. You and landarc set the bar very high!

Silly maybe but, does the the skin cook to an edible state? It looks delicious!! Did it cook similar to a crackling without the puffyness?

thanks man!

the skin was cooked to an edible state. probably not that healthy though. :wink:

thanks man!

the skin was cooked to an edible state. probably not that healthy though. :wink:

Thanks, I have had it straight off the hog at sparnfarkles and tastes incredible but can vary from melt in your mouth to rock hard...

Healthy, who's watching?:laugh:

Brilliant!

I cooked a porchetta a few years ago at Christmas. Nice change of pace from Turkey. Did mine in the oven though....I'd love to try it again in the smoker and there are a couple of things I'd do differently were I to try it again..

It cooks to a edible state.

The next time, I will poke needle holes all over the skin, then wipe it down with vinegar and salt. Then slice it, roll it and roast it. The vinegar will be washed and a salt and oil slurry spread over it. This will aid in getting it more like puffy chicharrones and make it more crispy than hard. People will die from the cardiac arrest, but, that is a cost I am willing to pay

thanks man! i must work on my butcher's twine skills. i'm going to look for an object to practice on.

the second effort looked good, but was FAR from proper!

Check this out --

[ame]http://youtu.be/o_Ch3vEQQ6s[/ame]

I saw one video where the demonstration was done on a rolled bath towel. Not a bad idea for a couple of practice runs.

You and landarc are making me think "Have I ever really been able to cook?" Nice job on both of your cooks!:clap: Just went thru his thread you added at the beginning of yours. I'd absolutley hit both!

i'm afraid it was not the "proper" way to tie a roast. i cut about six or seven equal pieces and tied it all down the length and then with a piece about 4 times as long as the roast, i tied the longer piece at the end and wove it around each cross tie. after four trips across the belly, i tied it at the end and snipped the extra twine.

it worked, but it wasn't the right way, or the easy way (had i been able to just bang it out proper from jump street).

Maybe it would have been easier if you would have those beers BEFORE you tied it? Just saying........?

Oh...cold shower here also....YUM!!!:clap2:

Back