Day one in the Fab shop.....

RatRod

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just trying to sound fancy , spent a few hours welding up my charcoal basket in the garage. PLEASE critique it as I'm sure ill miss something which is my real reason I'm gonna document my UDS build in this thread. Hopefully someone will find something the can use or suggest something I can lol...

From this

2pyb637.jpg

To this

11tog92.jpg

Dimensions are 17" diameter , 16" over all height , the actual coal basket depth is 12 1/2" as my Weber Grate is welded at 3 1/2 from the bottom of the basket instead of bolts as legs for air circulation.

All welded / no fasteners ...,

What did I do wrong ?

Probably start on the drum in the next couple days as time allows.

My only question is, why the cases of water instead of beer???

After further research, they're in that big white fridge back there.

Looks good so far. I recently bought a HF inverter stick welder and love it. How do you like the wire feed?

Looking good RatRod! Like the idea of running the sides log vs. legs. you might make something in the center of your lifting rod, to be sure that when you pick it up it will stay balanced. I just put a slight upward bend in the center and it has no problem staying balanced. Too late since yours is already welded, but maybe weld a hook or eye in the middle. Looking forward to seeing your progress photos.

Looks good so far. I recently bought a HF inverter stick welder and love it. How do you like the wire feed?

It works really well actually ! I picked it up on a whim for like $88 a couple years ago and use it WAY more than I thought I would. I've actually welded up to 1/4" steel going slow and watching my puddle .

Looking good RatRod! Like the idea of running the sides log vs. legs. you might make something in the center of your lifting rod, to be sure that when you pick it up it will stay balanced. I just put a slight upward bend in the center and it has no problem staying balanced. Too late since yours is already welded, but maybe weld a hook or eye in the middle. Looking forward to seeing your progress photos.

Thanks man ! Funny thing ... Your suggestion for the lifting rod was one of my "shifts in the fly" I actually planned on running another rod across it in an X pattern as to hook the cross point but as I thought about it ill be loading it, put it in the drum , dump coal on top.... So I'm figuring ill always be working with a cold basket ie: lifting by hand so I saved the weight using the single rod .

You may want to think about attaching an ash tray to the bottom. Makes clean up so much easier. For my handle, I just made one like a bucket. It lays flat to one side when not in use.

What's wrong??
How about 5 gallons of gas and 60 lbs of LP 3 feet from your welding station!!
Not to worry though you do have 48 little bottles of water nearby.
Ed

Nice work. Seems to me you need some more duck decoys:mrgreen:

Those are just the ones waitin on burlap.... You should see my decoy shed :wacko:

Good call in the ash pan , I'm actually having a tough time tracking down an 18" pizza pan locally.... May have to break down and order one.

The pic is deceiving.... I snapped that pic before I started welding and grinding (outside in the driveway ) I don't have great lighting in the garage so usually weld outside because even with a self darkening helmet the old eyes aren't what the used to be...... Good catch though SAFETY FIRST !

I did some welding in college and everytime I see one I want to buy one. I may need to build a UDS for an excuse to get one.

looks good from here. Only suggestion would be move that gas and propane..them sparks can shoot- I've had a paper towel catch on fire once while welding..would hate to see this garage go boom and ducks flying.

We learned that by turning the expanded metal 90 degrees where the diamonds run horizontal rather than upward you will be cut way less often. Now you have a bunch of sharp edges looking for blood. Steve.

Stopped to do a little hardware shopping this evening and came up with a question , the Halex connectors that folks use for running the wires through seem to be galvanized ? I'm not sure I'm looking at the right ones , I didn't realize Halex is a brand , not a type ? The ones I was looking at said watertight conduit connectors ? Thanks for any info

Getting KILLED at work , haven't had much time in the "fab shop" did get a chance to drill and plumb and rework my basket a little per some of your suggestions..... Thanks for that and by all means keep them coming. Next up... Gonna "burn " my barrel on sat. I have 4 pallets I can burn in it , a weed burner , a grinder..... Any "preferred" method to get the liner out and take care of the top? Thanks for any suggestions !!!

Better ?

rsu92p.jpg

for the thermometer probe, I made a cajun bandit knock off with a compression fitting sleeve and a drill guide for $3 at a local hardware store. no galvanizing to worry about.

Pfft..... WOMEN !!!! I got up this am to go to work Mrs. RatRod says.... "Did you order something from Amazon? It's on the steps"...

All last night I coulda been playing with my new thermo , but she felt it was prudent to keep it a secret like National Security.... The just don't get it lol

Back