Nailed it!! First Succesful Brisket!

Evilsports

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Now I get it! I've flubbed my previous two attempts at brisket and to be honest when I ate them I didn't understand what the fuss was about. Now I understand the fuss 100%. :)

My last two tries I'd cooked at 225 for 16-20hrs and both times the meat was dry and somewhat tough. The flavor on the first one was not good, the second one was just ok. This one went out of the park (probably luck, I'll see if I can back it up next time).

I figured why not try a different approach with this guy. I injected it last night and rubbed it this morning with Plowboys Beef. Put it on the egg with some smoke at 300. It powered through to 180 degrees and I cooled the egg down to 250. It worked its way up to 201 internal and I pulled and wrapped it. I set it in our toaster oven for two and a half hours at 180 degrees because it was too big to fit in my cooler.

Pulled it out and just ate lunch with some Blues Red Sauce to dip. My good Lord this thing was phenomenal. My wife and I were both blown away. All we ate was flat, I cubed the point for burnt ends later on down the road.

Didn't get any cooking pics but I have a few of the finished meat:

Flat:
20130624_131258_zps895754ab.jpg

Cubed up point for burnt ends:

20130624_131333_zps03200254.jpg

It might not be the prettiest brisket, but I'm telling you guys, this thing is delicious, moist, and tender.
20130624_131258_zps895754ab.jpg.html

I have been thinking about brisket all day. Now I feel like the only kid who didn't get the red power ranger for Christmas! lol. Thanks a lot!! Seriously though, that looks delicious. Great job! Sounds like you're getting the hang of it pretty quick. There's nothing like a tender juicy brisket!

Brisket done right is a small slice of heaven. Out of the dozen+ I have done only about 3-4 have come out really good. Just remember what you did and try to repeat the process. Brisket done right is sooooo good.

Congrats on the breakthrough!

I've only done 1 brisket, and I'm where you were... I haven't tasted what all the fuss is about yet. Thanks for sharing this! Hopefully it'll get me interested in trying again.

I'd love to hear more about what you injected into the brisket, and any other details you think helped your cook.

Congrats on the breakthrough!

I've only done 1 brisket, and I'm where you were... I haven't tasted what all the fuss is about yet. Thanks for sharing this! Hopefully it'll get me interested in trying again.

I'd love to hear more about what you injected into the brisket, and any other details you think helped your cook.

I injected Fab-B mixed just with water and some of the plowboys rub that I used.

I suspect that the phosphates in the injection and the high heat both played roles in the outcome of the brisket. I didn't wrap it but I did scale the heat back to 250 once I figured it had went into collagen busting mode. It probed super tender at 201 so I don't know how much the rest helped? I also put a few tablespoons of butter and a bit more rub into the foil when I rested it, if you figure that made a difference?

All I know is I'm going to try and do it exactly the same next time. Man, I hope it wasn't a one time treat.

I should maybe also add that when I bought the brisket I sent the butcher into the cooler 3 times until he brought me a super floppy one.

Back