Heat Control Survey

FromthePitBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have been reading about how some people like to adjust their temperature with the intake vents, while some like to control the temp by adjusting the exhaust vents.

I personally try to balance my UDS cooks by finessing both of the vents.

What's your choice/method for heat control? (and yes, a Guru or Stoker is the obvious best & easiest temp control method)

Does anyone run exhaust wide open and fine tune on intake or vice-versa?

"And the survey says?????????"

On my mini, which I guess is the baby of ALL smokers, I just adjust the temp using the intake and leave the exhaust wide open. But that's on my baby smoker which is all I use and have at the moment. I can keep it at 225-250 pretty easily.

I always leave exhause wide open and control with intake vents. In my opinion, if you have to throttle your exhause, your exhaust to intake size is incorrect for your cooker. Fully open exhaust seems to achieve a cleaner fire.

I used to run the exhaust vent wide open and control the temperature with the intake.

Now I run the exhaust wide open with a bbq guru to control the intake.

Depends on the cooker. With some of mine, exhaust wide open. If I did that with my kamado, though, I'd have about a 700* fire all the time, which is a little too hot and fast for me-so I adjust both on it.

Seems to be a trick question however :)....because "exhaust wide open" is STILL a controlled exhaust, just not one that most people fiddle with. With too much exhaust a UDS will "run away" ??

Bill

Back