Wedding cook

Looks like a feast is about to start soon.

I see the different sauces in the picture, which is the best one to buy. I am going to San Antonio on the June 20th, and would like to buy something different to take home with me. Just looking for your suggestions.

I'm a Yankee so I like spicy, NOT Hellfire HOT, (LOL)

Looks like a feast is about to start soon.

I see the different sauces in the picture, which is the best one to buy. I am going to San Antonio on the June 20th, and would like to buy something different to take home with me. Just looking for your suggestions.

I'm a Yankee so I like spicy, NOT Hellfire HOT, (LOL)

I would go with Franklin's BBQ Sauce if they don't have it in your area. They are different and have a unique flavor profile. Salt Lick is very different too so I'd definitely pick up a bottle too if it's not available in your neck of the woods.

Austin's Own tastes great, but there's nothing special about it compared to other offerings. I like it cause its a neutral bbq sauce that everyone will like.

I would go with Franklin's BBQ Sauce if they don't have it in your area. They are different and have a unique flavor profile. Salt Lick is very different too so I'd definitely pick up a bottle too if it's not available in your neck of the woods.

Austin's Own tastes great, but there's nothing special about it compared to other offerings. I like it cause its a neutral bbq sauce that everyone will like.

I'm going to be on the North Side of San Antonio, what grocery chain will have the best offerings for me??

I'm going to be on the North Side of San Antonio, what grocery chain will have the best offerings for me??

Any HEB...they're everywhere. Also, try to stop by The Smoke Shack. It's a trailer but it's pretty gooood.

My day

The scenery looked pretty cool at 6am, so I took my camera to the dock and snapped a few pics.

I didn't have time to get close up pron shots because I was too busy. That's because I decided it was easier to carve everything myself instead of trying to teach someone the way I wanted it done. lol I tried to get my uncle to pull the pork, then just did it myself. Which was good, because I didn't pull the money muscle as it wasn't pull worthy.

The Boston Butt and Brisket

Here is the spread.

In the middle of my controlled CHAOS, I felt bad that nobody was really taking photos of the ceremony. So, I ran down to the pergola and snapped some pics for them. Here a couple of pics of me wearing my "i'm pretending to be a photographer hat".

After everything was done and I pulled the last bird off the egg, my adrenaline left and my feet started feeling like death. Lol

Overall, everything went over well. I expected more from the brisket, but it wasn't bad, just not up to my standards. The chicken was awesome and the pulled pork was the bomb. The biggest challenge was using a unfamiliar grill for the chicken. I set it up like this:

I have to say, I did a pretty kick butt job on the chicken with a unproven rifle. The chicken was pouring juice and proves that the Thermapen is a powerful tool. Fun day! My feet finally feel normal again and the eggs are loaded back in the Explorer. Driving back to my in-laws house in Beeville tonight and tomorrow I'm going to cook 15 New York Strips for Mother's Day lunch! :mrgreen:

Any HEB...they're everywhere.
Also, try to stop by The Smoke Shack.
It's a trailer but it's pretty gooood.

I added the Smoke Shack to one of my places to stop for Lunch or Dinner. Probably have lunch there after we visit The Alamo.

I'll Visit the HEB on Valley Hi Dr near the base. I guess while I am there I can check the base commissary as well, sometimes things are much cheaper, and of course there is no sales tax there.

Thanks for the recommendations... and thanks for sharing the pics...

Looks like you had a great successful cook..

Last edited:
I added the Smoke Shack to one of my places to stop for Lunch or Dinner. Probably have lunch there after we visit The Alamo.

I'll Visit the HEB on Valley Hi Dr near the base. I guess while I am there I can check the base commissary as well, sometimes things are much cheaper, and of course there is no sales tax there.

Thanks for the recommendations... and thanks for sharing the pics...

Looks like you had a great successful cook..

Awesome! Please let me know what you think of it! I've only been once, and I really liked it. It's always a good sign when you see brisket cut properly and it certainly didn't disappoint. I also recommend their ribs as many have raved about them. I had their mac and cheese with my meal it was very good too!

Back