First comp EVER!!!!!

Carolina gamecock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Now that I have done a comp I can post in the Competition section!!:clap:
The company I work for entered a team into the 3rd Annual Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Pee Dee BBQ cook-off. My only experience so far as been cooking for family. I have a good friend Philip Miles who competes as the Hotlanta team in SCBA whos brain I picked relentlessly to get some pointers since it was a SCBA event. Friday night went ok with us having a good time at the anything butt category. The real fun started at around 9 when the first of 16 butts and shoulders went on. we were only supposed to have one box, but another team backed out and the sponsors asked if we wanted to get another box. Sounded good at the time because it made our chances of finding a good piece of meat better, later on after trimming and injecting 16 butts and shoulders I was doubting our decision! Did I mention the large cooker we were using has NEVER been used before?!?!?! It was an old gasser that the company had that we got a guy at work to add a firebox on so we could burn wood....cause wood iz good..:biggrin1: Anyways, it had huge gaps and leaks in it that we stuffed full with about a roll of tin foil. All night we tried to get the temps to hold steady. After 80 pounds of charcoal and what felt like half a chord of white oak we got 12 of the butts done. Luckily, I brought my UDS to put some meat on because the 4 butts we used for turn in came off of it! We ended up coming in 9th out of 19 teams which was above and beyond what I was expecting!:clap::biggrin1: Here is some pics I managed to take while I could remember to.
E871F108-12A4-428B-BEEA-33872A3869FE-971-0000003EDB23C3FD_zpsec34da2e.jpg

E2C95A39-9818-4BAA-99EC-39028B246294-971-0000003ECF4E71BE_zps6b6efc44.jpg

6071EF5C-D638-4DC5-92B6-E585000C186B-971-0000003EF831A5DB_zps84614d88.jpg

1068393D-01AB-4EBA-9EEB-B6685956D23C-971-0000003F01BCEDDD_zpsaeee1832.jpg

1EF661B4-C946-408B-A39F-6FDBEE2293DF-971-0000003F0F83D31F_zps536cf29b.jpg

Well, it sure is a pretty smoke cloud generator you have there. I suspect there will need to be some improvements. But, 9th is great stuff for your first comp. with an unproven smoker.

It surely was a fun time. I just liked walking around and checking out the other cookers and setups people had. A lot of changes need to be made to that cooker though before I roll out with it again! Did I mention the best part???? Vulcraft paid for the entry fees!! If its free its for me!

Your hooked now. Double entries sound good till you actually have to cook all the food and slice it and box it. So was there only pork butts in the comp?

Yep, only butts. It was surely a learning experience and next time I know some things I would change and do different to save time and make it easier.

Sounds Awesome! I was really wanting to go to that one, but we were in Georgia that day so we went to the SOTW Festival in Thomaston, GA. 9th is awesome!!!

Hey man I was there too! Probably walked by yall 1000 times going to the portajohns. It was an awesome contest for an even better cause. I've just gotta learn how to dissect a pork butt and cook it in sections like they do at SCBA. I'm gonna try one this week and then go try the next one this coming up weekend in Conway.

ButchB, what do you mean by dissecting the butt? Are you referring to the money muscle?

In SCBA there are no rules to how the butt must be cooked. You can completely take it apart and cook the MM, tubes, whatever you want seperate from each other if you want.

Congrats on your first comp! Good showing for the first time out.

Boy, that's a beast of a smoker...huge firebox. I think some insulation is in order :becky: Try a water heater or welding blanket around that firebox.

In SCBA there are no rules to how the butt must be cooked. You can completely take it apart and cook the MM, tubes, whatever you want seperate from each other if you want.

DANGIT!! Wish I would have looked into that some more. I was over there like Ducky on NCIS trying to dissect those butts enough to get the MM flavored and rubbed enough without seperating it all the way. You probably saw me walking around all night too, I was the guy with the black hat and bushy beard. Where were yall set up?

Hey man I was there too! Probably walked by yall 1000 times going to the portajohns. It was an awesome contest for an even better cause. I've just gotta learn how to dissect a pork butt and cook it in sections like they do at SCBA. I'm gonna try one this week and then go try the next one this coming up weekend in Conway.

Just cause you can cook it in sections, doesn't mean everybody does. We never have, and have gotten a few calls.

DANGIT!! Wish I would have looked into that some more. I was over there like Ducky on NCIS trying to dissect those butts enough to get the MM flavored and rubbed enough without seperating it all the way. You probably saw me walking around all night too, I was the guy with the black hat and bushy beard. Where were yall set up?

Yeah I didn't realize it either. I honestly don't know if that makes it better or not but I wanna try one just to see. I miscalculated how long my butts would take to cook and mine were done @ 3am and it was all downhill from there. I was about 5-6 spots down from yall. I was right beside JT's with the big Lang.

Just cause you can cook it in sections, doesn't mean everybody does. We never have, and have gotten a few calls.

Thats true! Some of the other teams told me about it andI just wanna try it myself and see how it does. It seems like it might dry the sections out cooking them seperately but we'll see.

Good job! I'm getting back in to competitions after a 2-3 year break. I like SCBA events because they are usually butts only. I'll be doing my first comp in May at Saluda Shoals Park in Irmo. Hope to see you there.

Back