• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Reuben sandwich on the grill

Hankdad1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I remember as a kid (long time ago) my father having his bowling team over for dinner. If I remember right he wrapped his reubens in foil and cooked them on the grill. He's been gone a while now and I'd like to replicate his cook, does anyone have any experience cooking them this way.

Maybe throw them on low heat in foil then remove the foil and finish over a hot grill?

I have cooked sandwiches this way while camping, throw the whole thing into a heavy duty foil wrap and onto a cast iron griddle. They do burn if you are not on low heat. No need to finish on the fire, just make sure you brush a little oil on the foil first, it toasts up really nice. Last year, we did them on the fire grate over an old campfire ring, took about 10 minutes, maybe 15, one flip. It was delicious.

I've never tried them that way. These are my thoughts though, but since I haven't tried it I could be wrong.

Doing them over low heat like that, the foil would be good for heating them throughout, but not for grilling up the bread...in fact the bread may get soggy.

If the bread has a little oil or butter on it and it is put over high heat then it may grill the bread up nice, but could tend to burn.

You might need to experiment. I think I might start with the bread buttered and start over high heat and move to low heat to finish heating up and prevent much burning.

What were they like? That might help.

Welp, never mind. Landarc to the rescue!:thumb:

i can offer info here!

the best, and i mean best, hot dog and hamburger joint i have ever eaten at is down the street. they prepare them completely, and before serving wrap them in foil. they sit like that for a few minutes before you get them. i do this now at home and it really, really, really, "bakes" in all the flavors and makes a better sammich. this may be exactly what you are remembering.

either way, try it, you'll like it! it's not for every sammich though...

Okay, okay, since we are giving away information for free here. Let's say you happened to work at a lot of fundraisers and festivals, and one of the things you were going to sell a lot of were toasted sandwiches, to save time, you could build the sandwiches on Texas toast, lightly toasted, then with the meat and cheese in place. You wrap thoroughly in paper backed foil and put in the oven, get them to 140F, you can do dozens like this, then into the Cambro. Everything stays hot. Order up, unwrap, add cold elements (mustard, mayo, pickles) then onto the flat top and under a press, hot, crispy, greasy bread, hot lunch meat, nobody gets a cold in the middle sandwich, and you can turn em in 3 to 5 minutes max.

bigabyte wrote:

"What were they like? That might help."

If I remember right I couldn't even see over a countertop at that time. We kids were not always fed the same foods as the adults when we had "company", I doubt I ever had one of his.

Back