• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mixing sausage ?

jfletcher84

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What is the best way to mix homemade sausage if I dont have a fancy sausage mixer? Can I use just a regular kitchen mixer or do it by hand?

Why gloves?

It's kinda nasty and if you're doing it right, it's farking COLD!

I tried using the KA paddle thingee, but our mixer is too small, and I seem to get a better result by hand anyway. But I'm talkin seriously cold hands here!

I use Jersey gloves with Nitriles over them. Your meat should be very cold and it allows you to do a great mix job without freezin your hands. Plus its cleaner.

Or what GTR said when I was typing. Plus ever had a itch in your nose?

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I like to mix it inside of a large baggie.
The last batch I did was 5lbs per bag... used the Hefty 2.5 gallon baggies.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148471

032_zpse032dd46.jpg

Just smooshed it around. It worked great and kept my hands clean. :-D

Why do I love this place? Posts like that^^^one^^^, that's why. :clap2:

I like to put it in a bus tub then with my fingers spread wide, poke holes all over the grind. Then pour the ice water cure mix into the holes to get a even cure distribution then just go to town mixin.

For smaller batches I will have to give Jeanie's way a try.

There seems to be a fine line between overmixing and not getting it consistent enough. The overmixing I experienced on my first batch may have been attributed to not having it ice cold. My second attempt had some links spicier than others as I attempted to not make the same mistakes twice (overmixing and too warm). Any suggestions? Can it be overmixed if it is kept ice cold?

There seems to be a fine line between overmixing and not getting it consistent enough. The overmixing I experienced on my first batch may have been attributed to not having it ice cold. My second attempt had some links spicier than others as I attempted to not make the same mistakes twice (overmixing and too warm). Any suggestions? Can it be overmixed if it is kept ice cold?

Try ice cold,and only half mix it.
Rest in the fridge overnight ,then remix .tends to blend the spices without sweating the meat.
works for me.
cheers.
Titch

Thank you for all the replies. helps a lot. do you grind and then mix it right after? or do you grind it then re-chill it before you mix it?

do you grind and then mix it right after? or do you grind it then re-chill it before you mix it?
I usually do a grind (large) mix(by hand, in a large tub that I have), chill for an hour, then regrind with the size I want for the sausage. That way I get a good mix on my spices. I use a #32 hand grinder for the 2nd grind, cuz its a pain in the butt putting it through my #10 electric.

For $100 Weston makes a great grinder. Ive ground over a hundred lbs and it hasnt missed a beat. You can use a food processor with the chopping blade.

Bigbeef24
Big Pappa UDS

Back