• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Finishing rubs?

porkingINpublic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm interested in the concept of a finishing rub... I'm debating ordering big poppa smokers "happy endings" I've heard he won a small comp somewhere using it..lol

What spice & flavored do u look for in a finishing rub?

And when exactly do you apply it?

Thanks

I usually just use a little fleur de sel, but I did get some BP's Happy Ending Finishing Rub recently and I am very impressed with it, as I am his other rubs. It's just a little added somethin somethin that makes it pop. I've only gotten it recently and used it a couple times, and I'm very much looking forward to using it a lot more.

Yea his $25 combo is a good deal. What kind of sauce do u use with his happy endings? Sweet? Original?

Smoking Guns makes one, called Gun Powder. My understanding is that it is the same rub, just ground finer. The finer grind is to give better coverage from a small amount and to hide it so it isn't visually seen. I think you want the same profile as already on the meat. This is common in competition cooking. It gives a blast of flavor to each bite. This is very common in comps.

I have occasionally sprinkled regular rub on my pork after pulling. I typically don't do this though. it all comes down to how much you want to wow people and how much effort those little incremental improvements are worth to you.

Smoking Guns has Gun Powder which is really good. Or take your favorite rub and run it through your coffee grinder and make your own.

I recently used Cowtowns sweet spot rub. It's not as fine ground but it's pretty good. A little sweet and spicy makes for a savory finishing rub as it adds another layer of flavor.

I used Simply Marvelouse Cherry as a finishing rub once. Tasted great... Wasn't sure what flavor the other guys were using, crap now I gotta order smokin guns finishing rub too! Lol

Smoking Guns makes one, called Gun Powder. My understanding is that it is the same rub, just ground finer. The finer grind is to give better coverage from a small amount and to hide it so it isn't visually seen. I think you want the same profile as already on the meat. This is common in competition cooking. It gives a blast of flavor to each bite. This is very common in comps.

I have occasionally sprinkled regular rub on my pork after pulling. I typically don't do this though. it all comes down to how much you want to wow people and how much effort those little incremental improvements are worth to you.

Smoking Guns has Gun Powder which is really good. Or take your favorite rub and run it through your coffee grinder and make your own.

Yep, thumbs up on Gunpowder, and I have not tried the ones from Big Poppa. I do a super fine grind on one of my homemede rubs and jokingly call it "gold dust". I also do a super fine grind on Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust and use it as a finishing rub too.

Dang, just had to try the Gunpowder.... I love Smokin' Guns Hot on chicken thighs.

Yup I too use a finishing rub but only when doing comps. I take my home made rub and add a bit more sweet,a touch of kosher salt and a very little heat and run it through the spice (coffee) grinder and use it lightly. My thinking is that there's areas on the meat that never get to see the rub as in the edges of cut ribs or deep inside a pork butt or brisket so why not drop some extra flavor on it. I use a salt shaker for this.

Or take your favorite rub and run it through your coffee grinder and make your own.

I really like the Mad Hunky run through a spice grinder to near powder form, dusted on ribs before serving & also like some smoked finishing salts........ Sometimes the texture of the smoked finishing salts can be a bit coarse for some IMO, but the addition of them is worth checking out IMO..... Mortar & Pestle them down a bit if you have a coarser grind, or quick pulse in a grinder.

Last edited:
Yea his $25 combo is a good deal. What kind of sauce do u use with his happy endings? Sweet? Original?

For various reasons (laziness key among them) I hardly ever sauce when I cook, so I haven't tried a sauce with these rubs.

Happy Endings is so good I'm about to put it on some coconut pie! His Money rub really is a whole new taste for Me! I'm really impressed with those two and a couple more of his.

Back