Traveling/Tailgating Q’ing Question

S

smknhotmama

John bought me a camper for Mother’s Day this year! :clap2:Its old (30 ft 1992 Dutchman) it’s ugly and I LOVE it! We are headed to Richmond International Raceway the 28th-1st for the race as our maiden voyage and I intend on at minimum taking my Weber Kettle, I actually have 2 now!! -anyway we are traveling with another couple and I'm sure we'll meet up with many others that are hungry for good grrrillleedd mmmmeat as well...so... I’ve tailgated before but only for one day- not 3 and everyone else brought the food; I just cooked what I was told to (like a good little girl should).

A) Are any of you farkers gonna be at the Richmond Race???
B) John suggested bringing the Egg and I put the kibosh on that quickly- or should I?
C) Or should I just bring 1 or 2 Kettle's instead?

Thank you in advance and Mods...You know the drill move me to the appropriate arena if I have posted incorrectly!

I think you'll be fine with one kettle. Anyone else there probably has their own grill.

I wouldn't take the Egg. It's very heavy and I would hate to have it break. I know lots of folks take Eggs to competitions, but I'm paranoid. A Kettle is much easier to handle.

What he said^^^^^. Course, if you have the space, you can take both kettles and grill on one and smoke on the other. But, that's just me. I normally take my son's MUDS and our SJP. That more than gets us by. Congrats on the trailer. RV'ing if FUN!!!!

Cool...I have room so maybe I will take both kettles. Also taking the turkey fryer so we can do a big shrimp boil as well! I'm thinking fatties, MOINKs, chicken legs and thighs and some sort of kabob. Gotta do some beans and slaw...that should be enough veggies though! Plus plenty of my beverage(s) of choice...

Hey SMK....I would take both kettles indeed. I am a huge racing fan as well, and take our motor home to many, many races. Just curious if you have ever been to a race with the RV before? For the most part you do not get a whole lot of space in between campers. Got a generator to run the RV as well??

I have been places before that the space you have gives you just enough room to put your awning out, and the next camper is right up next to you.

Enjoy the races!

Hey SMK....I would take both kettles indeed. I am a huge racing fan as well, and take our motor home to many, many races. Just curious if you have ever been to a race with the RV before? For the most part you do not get a whole lot of space in between campers. Got a generator to run the RV as well??

I have been places before that the space you have gives you just enough room to put your awning out, and the next camper is right up next to you.

Enjoy the races!

I do have a generator-and we are in the lot planning on getting in the moment it opens so that we might get a bit better real estate. Was going to park in a nearby yard as lots of folks to but it was 90.00 a night! As opposed to 80.00 for Thursday -Sunday!
Any and all advice will be MUCH appreciated!

Not sure how Richmond works there camping lots, but many open them up the Sunday before the race. I have been in lines that were pretty crazy a week before. Then again, some open the Thursday before the race. Camping at a race is the most fun you can have. The stuff you will see will amaze you, and give you ideas for the next trip. I am sure the people you meet around you will be amazed at the BBQ you will be making. Things they never thought of before but will love.

Gonna need water for your camper as well. Check to see if they have water available to fill up when you get there, or fill before you leave. Better if you can get it there, less weight to tow on the trip. Be sure to top off the propane for the camper as well. Refrig runs on gas. Also check battery for camper....need it for lights when not running generator, plus it helps keep the frig running. No power...pilot light will go out. You can PM me with any questions, or post away here.

^^^ You're my new best friend!^^^
they have pump out and fresh water service (for a fee of course!) I know we can def. get in at 7am on Thursday...Nationwide is Friday night, Sprint Saturday Night, then we gotta haul it outta there by noon on Sunday. Tons of great tips above. THANK YOU!

Won't be going this year, but have been (don't have a camper unfortunately so it was a day trip) great time!! I would bring both webers, one for smoking one for grilling. I also sent a link to one of my buddy's he might be going to the race, so he will hit you up if he is.

Where in the beach are you? Do you compete?

Honey Wagon fees are usually $30-40 bucks. Water varries...some charge by the gallon, others flat fee, but still pricey considering it is tap water! If you do not have to go far, fill it before you leave. Then you do not have the hassle of waiting for the guy to come by.

PS...when they come to pump your tanks.....run for the hills....it sure does have an odor of it's own. If you can, make arrangements for them to come while you are at the races Saturday night. That way no worries Sunday morning when trying to leave.

Also verify that evrything works on battery and propane before you leave. I had to fix a guys frig one time. Ran fine on electric....but would not fire on propane. Spider built a nest in his gas line!:crazy:

One last tip is make sure you have extra fuses for the trailer, pvc cement/primer, and basic set of tools(sockets, etc) and if it hasn't already been done, bearings repacked and inspected and lugs torque tightened. All the other things you can deal with as they happen. But quite often you can count on a minor electrical or plumbing issue. Highly recommend one of these. My copy has bailed me out, more than once and saved me LOTS of money or repair bills.
Amazon.com: RV Repair and Maintenance Manual: Updated and Expanded (RV Repair & Maintenance Manual) (9780934798709): Bob Livingston: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51-enKq583L.@@AMEPARAM@@51-enKq583L

I have paid up to $900 for a weekend at the tracks. But then again we camped trackside and watched the races from the top of the motor home!:p

Another option would be DIY mini smokey mountain. It uses a weber smokey joe and a tamale pot with a couple extra racks. Pretty easy to put together. Fits up to 3 racks of food.

13.jpg

Here is mine with a 1 pound fatty on top and a pastrami down below, nice and roomy.
11.jpg

Congrats on the Mother's day gift, Shawn! We just got a 97 Coachman Leprechaun and I am learning here too! Great thread!

Won't be going this year, but have been (don't have a camper unfortunately so it was a day trip) great time!! I would bring both webers, one for smoking one for grilling. I also sent a link to one of my buddy's he might be going to the race, so he will hit you up if he is.

Where in the beach are you? Do you compete?

Countyish...more of a spectator than a competitor...

Who you all fans of?? Bowyer and Biffle for myself. Son is a Red Bull racing fan and loving seeing Kahne in the car this year. Wife is of course a Jeffy fan and daughter goes for Junior...go figure.

You need to make your self up a flag pole to show support for your favorite drivers. You can buy them at the track for a pretty penny...or do like I did. Bought 2-12 foot sections of PVC. Larger diameter for bottom half, next size down for top half, slide one inside the other for a foot or so, put a bolt through it all, wing nut to keep in place. 22 foot flag pole in no time! Zip tie to the awning supports top and bottom!

I heart Tony!! So does my 4 year old! I like Denny Hamlin as well, especially seeing as I grew up in Chester, VA (hometown boy). My hubby is a girl and likes Gordon, but I think it's secretly just to pi$$ me off. The flag idea is a GREAT one!

Back