To be considered a State Champion

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
My question is in reference to sigs I am having made for my vending. We won two comps that were considered state championships, can I make signs that say NJ state champion and Delaware State champion? I do not want to make signs that are not actually considered real. Thanks for the Help.

Also if you took first in a category in a state are you considered state champion for that category? I have seen signs that say Brisket State champion or MD rib state champion?

I would go with the name of the contest, and outcome....i.e. Maryland State Champion, Dover, Contest Name, 2009....

I guess that might depend on how many state championships the states have - if a state only has one, I don't see who could argue.

Now look at Myron, he is a "x" time world champion.... but he counts his Whole Hog wins as "world Champion" in whole hog, not just overall wins... etc.

I think the rule is that if you feel you can back it, state it. There is definately some "detail" in fine print behind some of these titles...

IMHO, if you win a state championship event... you can call yourself a state champion. If you win a catagory... you can say, state champion - brisket.

Or if you are worried about someone splitting hairs, go with grand champion.
Now in NY, they have an Empire State champion, that can actually say they are the undisputed state champ...:twisted::twisted: That kicks arse. Just sayin'

Now in NY, they have an Empire State champion, that can actually say they are the undisputed state champ...:twisted::twisted: That kicks arse. Just sayin'

Not necessarily true, at least until there is a unification competition, because the Empire State Championship doesn't include every NY State Championship competition. :biggrin:

Not necessarily true, at least until there is a unification competition, because the Empire State Championship doesn't include every NY State Championship competition. :biggrin:

It did include all NYS KCBS sanctioned events.

My question is in reference to sigs I am having made for my vending. We won two comps that were considered state championships, can I make signs that say NJ state champion and Delaware State champion? I do not want to make signs that are not actually considered real. Thanks for the Help.

Also if you took first in a category in a state are you considered state champion for that category? I have seen signs that say Brisket State champion or MD rib state champion?

Read the signs of other vendors. They streach the truth a little. If you won you won go with it. The only people who would complain are the the other vendors who already are doing it.

Read the signs of other vendors. They streach the truth a little. If you won you won go with it. The only people who would complain are the the other vendors who already are doing it.

I thought you had to be from the state to be the state champion, and that you didnt have to actually win the comp just be the highest finisher.

how does this play out as far as being the State rep for the Jack? Pa is doing a Govenors cup (awarded at NewHolland) based on Pa teams competing in Pa sanctioned comps?

As far as last years Jack, the IA draw was from MO, the MO draw was from KS, the KS draw was a team split between one cook in KS and the other in MO. Which state a team is from has little to do with the Jack draw. But they do pick a team to represent every state that has a competition that is a qualifier.

If the day ever comes when I/we win a State Championship you can bet I'll call myself a State Champion. That's different from saying THE state champion. If you win it, own it!

As far as last years Jack, the IA draw was from MO, the MO draw was from KS, the KS draw was a team split between one cook in KS and the other in MO. Which state a team is from has little to do with the Jack draw. But they do pick a team to represent every state that has a competition that is a qualifier.

very interesting.. 2 years ago PA didnt have a State rep. Pa Midnite Smokers got in because of their win in Dover Del. not for winning NewHolland PA. Im pretty sure that NH was the only Pa comp that year.

I guess my question is...can a state have a sanctioned contest and not be represented?

If the day ever comes when I/we win a State Championship you can bet I'll call myself a State Champion. That's different from saying THE state champion. If you win it, own it!

you and me both brother!!!! What a thrill that would be (dream mod).

Or if you are worried about someone splitting hairs, go with grand champion.

I will someday win the empire state champ...:cool:

very interesting.. 2 years ago PA didnt have a State rep. Pa Midnite Smokers got in because of their win in Dover Del. not for winning NewHolland PA. Im pretty sure that NH was the only Pa comp that year.

I guess my question is...can a state have a sanctioned contest and not be represented?

They pull State Champions first. Doesnt matter where your home state is. After that if there are any home states not represented they add those teams to the invited list.

Now look at Myron, he is a "x" time world champion.... but he counts his Whole Hog wins as "world Champion" in whole hog, not just overall wins... etc.

I think he calls himself a three time world champion.

At MIM, Myron's hogs scored high enough to win not only the hog category but the Grand Championship of MIM - a world championship. I think it was 2008 when he earned his third world title.

....geee, and why would you be "just saying" something like that?:twisted:

very interesting.. 2 years ago PA didnt have a State rep.

heyyyy... lunchmeat represented PA at the Jack two years ago!

The first time I ever saw a 'state championship' awarded at an event was at Pork In The Park in 2004. Sandy gives out Grand, Reserve Grand, and a Maryland State Champ (they come from MD) I kinda thought it was a Mid-Atlantic thing, very cool for those that live there, and a great way to get local teams to come out.

OC... I say put whatever you want on your banner... you are paying for it.
Whoever wants to get into it with you... best of luck to them.
You've got the bling , right?

Back