New offset build started ( With Pics)

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I guess I need to address a few questions/concerns here. I'm not sure what picture you can actually see the leaf springs in well enough to make a call on it, but they aren't anywhere near sqashed flat, it must be the angle of the picture. The weight of what is on the trailer right now isn't even anywhere near the weight of the machine that came off it. I'll have it weighed when I'm finished and will change the springs/axle if need be. The axle is a 1250, or possibly a 1500lb ( only ones offered on a karavan trailer of this size)

On the counter weight issue, I'm not sure yet, I'm considering it. I can lift the door, and it flips up to rest on a couple of stops that I welded on the other day. It would be nice though to be able to lift it effortlessly.

Should have the steel for the firebox in a week or so, just waiting for the mill to shear it to size for me. I'm going today to pickup some angle iron from a guy on craigslist. 100 ft of 1x1 for $40. Not a bad deal.

On the counter weight issue, I'm not sure yet, I'm considering it. I can lift the door, and it flips up to rest on a couple of stops that I welded on the other day. It would be nice though to be able to lift it effortlessly.

QUOTE]

First, great looking build.

Second, not concerned about lifting the doors, its about them slamming back down. I came very close to losing my hand as a kid when the door of my uncle's homemade pit slammed closed. If the door had slammed down on my fingers instead of my wrist, I surely would have lost them. It was a very nasty injury. He was proud of that pit, but the next day he cut it in half with a torch and hauled it to the dump.
Something to consider.

County,

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought about it slamming closed. I was contemplating instead of using a counterweight, adding a spring assist, that would reside beside/under the main chamber and attach to the door with a set of steel cables. After having the thought of it slamming closed on my hands brought to my attention, I will definitely add some sort of assist to it.

Thanks,

Chris

Made some progress today

Well, I made some progress today, got the baffle in for the most part, just have a couple of the edge trim pieces to put in. I pieced it together out of scrap that I had to save some money. I laid down a lot of welding wire, so I don't know how much I actually saved, but it kept me moving along.

My mom's husband sells steel, so he has ordered the material for the firebox and warming box, although I think I shorted myself the door and top for the warming box, Brain-fart mod. No big deal, I always come up with something. Just to prove that I actually made progress, I've included pictures. The picture looking down the center of the channel makes it look like it is crooked, but its some sort of optical illusion from the welds, I've checked it and it's straight.

I also managed to get the shelf welded onto the side. In hindsight I should have waited on this part, as it gives me an extra 12 inches to hunch over to get to the baffle welding, but does give me a nice place to clamp pieces that need be cut.

Attachments

• 100_0263.jpg
    100_0263.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 664
  • 100_0264.jpg
    100_0264.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 664
  • 100_0266.jpg
    100_0266.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 664
  • 100_0271.jpg
    100_0271.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 668
Will the pit itself will be the sacrificial anode or the trailer?

I agree with Countyliner, Without a counter weight one little mistake could take some finger off. It could happen with a weight as well but it would give you a second of two to get your hand out with one. Looks great! Keep taking pic's.

I have been making some progress still. I only manage to get about 1-2 hours a couple of times a week in the garage. I have the shelves made, mounted, and all the expanded metal in place. The last pic is of the firebox material that was delivered this week, some assembly required. The biggest problem I've been having is finding a common point of reference for measurements. I have several marked on the surface of the chamber, and also on the trailer frame, but keeping things straight and square is proving tricky. So far the farthest thing off is just under and 1/8" off of straight, so I figure I'm doing O.K. for an amateur. After a couple of suggestions here, I am definitely going to add a counterweight, or some type of lift assist before using it. I just have to figure out what type and what I want it to look like.

Attachments

• 100_0281.jpg
    100_0281.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 694
  • 100_0280.jpg
    100_0280.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 694
  • 100_0279.jpg
    100_0279.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 694
comin' along nicely! I didn't notice till now the patchwork of steel that makes up the baffle... looks like something I'd endup using! =) Looks like it'll burn food reeeaallll nice!

Looking great, Chris!
Wish I had time to come out there and see it in person, or maybe even give you a hand.

Keep up the good work! And, during the move I came across some extra green and white high-temp paint (I know those are your favorite colors).

-s

That is sure is looking like a sweet pit Chis ! Can't wait till it's finished.

Thanks for the reply's everyone!

Scott.... You can keep that green and white paint to yourself! I have an idea in mind of what I want it to look like, but I'm still a little up in the air about the whole thing. I'll be making progress as I get time, but I have 2 weeks off for the Christmas holiday, so hopefully I can get it finished and season it then. Shouldn't need to buy much more for it to get it functional, a couple of therms, a hole saw, and probably a gas refill for the welder and the heater and I should be good to go. Oh, and the exhaust stack material!

Had a lot of slow progress, I had planned on getting a lot done over the holiday shutdown, but ended up getting sick and spending most of the time in bed. The firebox is built, door on, and I got it welded onto the main chamber today. Still have to finish up all the welds, but it's supporting itself. As always, some more pictures to prove it happened.

Attachments

• 100_0297.jpg
    100_0297.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 547
  • 100_0298.jpg
    100_0298.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 547
  • 100_0301.jpg
    100_0301.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 547
  • 100_0302.jpg
    100_0302.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 548
Very cool! Please, keep posting the build pr0n. Really great and informative to see this as you make it.

What a fun project to watch

You are doing a great job of welding and fabricating from what I see here. It will be very cool to drive up somewhere and make some great BBQ and while bragging on the good eats casually mention that you built the dang thing...

Back