First Fatties Finally

N

nonthink

So I did my 1st fatties. I stuffed them with red peppers, onions, and some kind of shredded Mexican cheese from the bag. I love those pre-shredded cheeses. I don’t miss my knuckle scrapper one bit. But I digress. I also coated them with some Willie B’s Bourbon rub. I wanted to use the sweet but I couldn’t find it in my mess of a kitchen.
One of them had a weak spot where I sealed it up and I figured if I try to open, remanipulate and reseal again it would just make it worse. So expected a haul breach I pleased some HD foil under it so not to cheese up my cooking grate.

They cooked faster then I thought they would, about 2.5 hrs. and I was left with a lot of fuel in my firebox and nothing else to throw on. It’s usually the other way around. Kinda ironic. Regardless they came out pretty good. I sampled them with some maple syrup drizzled on top and scoffed them down.

These will definitely go on with other things now as apposed to just by themselves. But I was doing a 1st time test run and I didn’t know what to expect. Very easy.
Hears some pics.

DSC01288.jpg

DSC01291.jpg

nonthink said:
I love those pre-shredded cheeses. I don’t miss my knuckle scrapper one bit. But I digress.

Get yourself a Microplane grater (http://www.microplane.com/35009.shtml) they grate like a hot knife through butter, just don't catch your knuckles on one of these babys!!! :shock:

You'll soon save the $15 you spent on it from buying blocks of cheese rather then the pre bagged stuff.

If you have shed loads of cheese to grate you can't beat a Magimix Grater blade (for the food processor), but thats a lot of washing up for a few fattys!!!

I'll second CT's nomination for a microplane.. very easy, no knuckle skin added.

The alliteration in the subject was nice, but you could have gone further... First Fantastic Fatties Finally Finished or something like that. ;) I'm up early, and not all there... but those look good!

Regarding the cheese graders. I buy the pre-shred stuff and well as salad ready to use out of the bag mostly out of laziness. No muss, no fuss. The few extra bucks I spend during the year for the pre-done stuff is worth it to me.

Nice looking fatties you got there. What temp were you at?

I wouldn't think that they'd take 2.5 hrs. I just did some this weekend (unstuffed) for 2 hrs with a grate temp around 235. I meant to pull them at 165 but when I checked they were 185 and climbing. Yep, overdone and kinda dry. No sweat though, I'm sure I can find a use for them. :wink:

Those fatties are looking great and bet they tasted the same. I like the onion & peppers idea. I was gonna do one this weekend and stuff it with pepperjack, but looks like I'm gonna alter that just a tad.

Kirk said:
I wouldn't think that they'd take 2.5 hrs. I just did some this weekend (unstuffed) for 2 hrs with a grate temp around 235. I meant to pull them at 165 but when I checked they were 185 and climbing. Yep, overdone and kinda dry. No sweat though, I'm sure I can find a use for them. :wink:

Overdone fatties are awesome in gravy and poured over fresh baked biscuits! :wink:

The average temp in the cook chamber was around 235ish. I pulled them at around 175. Kinda high I know. But with two little ones to look after I lost track of time and temp.
None the less they weren’t dry at all.

Fellas, I crumble up my fatties from time to time and add to spaghetti pour your favorite sauce over that and ya got a hell of a spaghetti dinner !!

Just make sure to make enough for eveybody, and still have a few left over.

DSC00623.jpg

Back