round cast iron skillet, uses?

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I picked up an old Wagner cast iron round griddle yesterday. It was loaded with gunk. I cleaned it and have started reseasoning it. What I'm wondering about is what use it will be. Separate from a regular skillet, I mean. This is basically like the bottom 1/2" of a no. 10 skillet, with only 3/8" or so of sides.

Of course skillets have many uses. I have used cast iron all my life. Just wondering if I should keep this old guy or sell it.

seattlepitboss

Last edited:
Does it have a two-level lip? If so, it can be used as a lid for a deeper skillet. I also like those for things like pancakes, as the lower side is easier to manage.

keep it , I use mine for pancakes , pizza , grilled cheese , the possibilties are endless , or anything that doesnt need a deep pan

That is actually a griddle. They are tough to find. I'll give you $10 and pay for shipping.:mrgreen:

Grilled cheeses, crepes, pancakes, fried eggs, blackened fish etc. The short lip is handy for stuff that needs some gentle flipping.

I use my cast iron skillet every day, love it! I'm also a BIG fan of this product http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-CSC-8-Cast-Iron-Conditioner/dp/B000H86C9I/ref=sr_sp-atf_image_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369600411&sr=8-1&keywords=Cast+iron+conditioner

713926D2-E071-4713-B4F5-5598E0D0B78F-10478-000005CAB213A221.jpg

Some of the best deep dish pizzas I've seen here have been made in a round cast iron skillet.

I've got the Lodge equivalent: round; diameter10+ inches; little 1/2 inch lip; and, regular handle. I use it to blacken pretty much anything ( fish, beef, pork chops) Get it hotter than a sane man would ever take a pan and it's almost hot enough to cook. I'm forced by inhome smoke alarms to use mine outdoors, either on the Weber or my gas cooker.
Um, this isn't a cast iron skillet. It's a griddle.

Back