• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

31st Q: New Year's Smoked Spice Buttered Chicken Quarters [pr0n only]

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
01_chicken_quarters_drying_in_fridge_zps47961ba0.jpg

02_spiced_butter_zpsd0f81e58.jpg

03_spice_buttered_chicken_quarters_zpse5f49c72.jpg

04_lemon_lump_on_fire_zpsd43139f4.jpg

05_smokey_fired_up_zps83d43e68.jpg

06_chicken_quarters_on_upper_grate_zpse37d0fd8.jpg

07_chicken_quarters_ready_zpsc11c1ea0.jpg

08_overview_on_a_foggy_1st_january_zpsb6692093.jpg

09_chicken_crisped_zps78a9bd2e.jpg

10_chicken_crisped_zps35ea4563.jpg

11_chicken_closeup_zps4f7cace6.jpg

12_chicken_closeup_zps42cf5f0f.jpg

13_chicken_closeup_zps0ea18d7d.jpg

14_chicken_closeup_zps983d6e95.jpg

FAN-freaking-TASTIC! :hungry:

The quarters look great and let me be the first to say I think you've graduated to the point where you don't need to number your Q's anymore. How do you manage to keep track anyway, I'd have miscounted at least 25 Q's ago.

Please do share the recipe
This is really pretty easy. They got brined for a day in 1 cup Sal Marina Natural + 1/2 cup brown sugar + 2 tbs black peppercorns + a good squeeze of honey.

Then instead of simply applying a rub, I prepare that spiced butter as follows:

• 1 cup butter (melted)
  • 1 tbs brown sugar
  • 2 tsp fine grained sea salt
  • 2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion granulate
That mixture is then being rubbed all over and under the skin (I use gloves and a tablespoon).

There is nothing more to it. :smile:

I think you've graduated to the point where you don't need to number your Q's anymore. How do you manage to keep track anyway, I'd have miscounted at least 25 Q's ago.
I think I'll just keep counting, it's a good way to keep track of things, which is easy, because I post each and every cook here, so I just need to look at the number of my previous cook. :wink:

I'm wondering if he meant 12/31st. And, What temp?
That was the first cook of the new year, performed on 1st January. I didn't keep track of the grate temp, I just let my WSM give all it can do with a full charcoal ring and a full chimney of lit lemon lump dumped on top. I took those legs to IT 185°F, probed them all with my Thermapen, then they went into the oven at max. grill for crisping the skin.

Your weather looks cold.
It just is a nasty time of the year around here, mostly foggy, rainy or snowy with temps sticking around the freezing point. It was the best decision to move Smokey beneath the carport, an idea which wouldn't even have crossed my mind if my pavilion hadn't been damaged by heavy snowfall.

Out of mesquite yet?
Still some left, I use your precious wood *very* sparingly, only for beef and only one piece each cook. It will be a sad day once it's gone. :sad:

Those look great, I'll have to try the butter treatment! And your weather looks about like here in the Southern Appalachians this time of year.

Back