Smoker advice

D

dlh116

What is a good smoker for a beginner? I have a regular grill but would like to get a smoker to smoke brisket, butts, etc.

WSM or UDS is where I would start unless you really want a stick burner. Much less fire tending and you will get some great results from either.

I started with a Weber Smokey Mountain and would be hard pressed not to recommend that for you. It's an excellent smoker and easy to use. If you wanna build a UDS, you will be quite happy with that too.

Master Forge Charcoal Smoker I found this on on the Lowes website. A good bit cheaper than the WSM. I was just seeing if this is an alright smoker to go with for now.

I was looking to stay under a hundered on one. At least for this year and then upgrade in a year or two once i can get a larger budget set aside.

I was looking to stay under a hundered on one. At least for this year and then upgrade in a year or two once i can get a larger budget set aside.

I'd recommend a Weber One-Touch Silver in that case. You can smoke on that with a little attention to the charcoal and use it as a great charcoal grill at the same time. You can get that for well under your budget.

Alright thanks. I look around some. Where is a good place to get smokers from? The local Lowes, Walmart, or where. Just wondering where would have the best selection and prices.

Lowes should have them and Walmart might (the Weber Silver). Home Depot carries them also.

Alright man thanks. Im going to look at some tomorrow i guess and see what I like.

I cut my teeth on an ECB, El Cheapo Brinkman, which I still have. There are some mods that make this a better smoker, not great, but good. :thumb:

What kind of grill do you have now? I used my gasser for years with good results. It's not a bad option to start with to see if you really enjoy the process.

If you are handy at all you should really looking into building a UDS. It will be under $100 and will work better than you could ever imagine. I would keep saving and using what you have until you can get a WSM otherwise. You will not regret that decision.

The WSM is nice over the UDS because you aren't struggling to work out why your design isn't working. Keep an eye out on Craigslist for a used WSM. That'd be my suggestion.

If you don't have any tools, or friends with tools, you do have to include that cost in making a UDS. A step bit alone is $40. To build one under $100 you need to have some good friends who have scraps and tools, or have access to all that yourself.

The WSM is nice over the UDS because you aren't struggling to work out why your design isn't working. Keep an eye out on Craigslist for a used WSM. That'd be my suggestion.

If you don't have any tools, or friends with tools, you do have to include that cost in making a UDS. A step bit alone is $40. To build one under $100 you need to have some good friends who have scraps and tools, or have access to all that yourself.

You can buy a $10 step bit to handle this one job. A drill and a jigsaw was all I needed. You won't struggle at all with a UDS if you KISS it.

I started on my old Weber Kettle. Learned the basics and had alot of fun. Then I adopted and old WSM and love it! One day maybe I can find me a stick burner.

Thanks for the advice guys. What section on craigslist are grills/smokers usually listed under. Are they under the general section?

Thanks for the advice guys. What section on craigslist are grills/smokers usually listed under. Are they under the general section?

Do a search for Weber and Webber and then narrow it down to 'title only' and you will find stuff in your area.

Back