My UDS build has begun...

BamaRambler

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This 55 gallon drum had Coconut oil in it. I probably didn't have to burn it out but i wanted to anyway. Drilled all my grate support and intake holes first, you can see them with the fire glowing through. That helped the burnout and it was cool too. Thats a Brick BBQ grill behind the UDS that i am building, Hope to finish it soon. This is my first smoker ever and am really excited about it:lol:. Suggestion are welcome.
The UDS thread is an awesome resource of useful information, thanks.

BamaRambler

Last edited:
Be Aware once the uds is done the addiction seems to triple in intencity you will have to smoke something everyweekend and will get severe dt s if you don't consider yourself warned.

I got some expanded metal yesterday. I put the grates and intakes in last night.
All i have to do know is make my fire basket and i should be good to go.
One question: Do you let the UDS get up to desired smoking tempurature before putting the meat in?

I'm confused by the holes drilled for the grates. The grates are generally 1" below the top and then ~9" below the top. The bottom two look awefully low.

Be Aware once the uds is done the addiction seems to triple in intencity you will have to smoke something everyweekend and will get severe dt s if you don't consider yourself warned.

?????Only on weekends????

I got some expanded metal yesterday. I put the grates and intakes in last night.
All i have to do know is make my fire basket and i should be good to go.
One question: Do you let the UDS get up to desired smoking tempurature before putting the meat in?

In a word, yes. I wait one hour from the time I light the coals to he time I load the cooker. As temp is approaching I start shutting down holes.

I'm confused by the holes drilled for the grates. The grates are generally 1" below the top and then ~9" below the top. The bottom two look awefully low.

I know my fire grate is gonna be 3 inches from the bottom. I measure up from the bottom 28 inches for the bottom rack, then put the top rack right at the lip. I use tall lids though. I couldn't have two grates like I do without doing it this way.

To the OP, are the bottom bolts to hold a water pan or diffuser?

I am using the drum lid. I will add the 1" holes from the top later when ever i do get a tall lid. Here is my plans.

Last edited:

That is so true! I built mine about 3 months and have cooked in it every weekend. I just alternate between ribs, butt, brisket, chicken. Wife is getting burned out so I have to find some other things for the all dayer. maybe some 6 hour hot dogs.lol

That is so true! I built mine about 3 months and have cooked in it every weekend. I just alternate between ribs, butt, brisket, chicken. Wife is getting burned out so I have to find some other things for the all dayer. maybe some 6 hour hot dogs.lol
sausage is a great time consuming project. you can cut notches for a sausage hanger or also buy the rib-o-lator. the wife should love that.:twisted:

Back