Tips on How to get Sponsorships

Sticks-n-chicks

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know there are some threads out there for sponsorships and suggestions for getting them...but I can't find em...any help would be great.

Yeah, let me know what you find. I think it's a lot who ya know and who you can talk into sponsorship.

One of the best avenues to gaining sponsorships is what you and yours can do for them. It sounds simplistic, but so effective. Establish your needs, then approach companies early enough in their fiscal year to give enough time to run through all chanels needed. If you are after products you use, will you be able to sell and demo for the supplier? Money demands in these times will require an exellent return for any investor, large or small. It will not be as easy now just to offer signage on posters, banners, and even trailers without offering personal appearances, demos, radio and tv spots,etc.. Harder times require much more effort, but help can be accomplished if you are tireless in your goals. Remember, no one owes anyone, and your sucess will be in your return to the sponsor involved.Hope that helps. Steve.

We had 10 sponsers last year and it is a lot of who you know. We offer our serves to them to cook for there family or employee functions for free as long as they buy the meat and supplies. Its a pretty easy sell if you compete in a contest in their city. Try to find sponsers who would benefit from exposer through out your state. Just make sure you stay somewhat professional at the contest, sure you can drink and have a good time, but remember you are representing these people. Good Luck.

That is the way that I go about getting folks to help cover everything from service to my truck, help with meat costs, contest costs, to having a sponsor for gas cards. I do things on the side for them, not every week or anything, but, for instance, I did a test run of ribs, different rubs, and sauces, but, I did it at a friends Chevy dealership. They covered the cost of the ribs, and then I got not only practice, but, they paid me extra, and provided me a coupon for service. Not a bad deal overall....win win situation.....

Thanks for the advice and keep it comming

I knew the brethren would have some advice, as always many many thanks for all the help. What great people...

Sticks

That is the way that I go about getting folks to help cover everything from service to my truck, help with meat costs, contest costs, to having a sponsor for gas cards. I do things on the side for them, not every week or anything, but, for instance, I did a test run of ribs, different rubs, and sauces, but, I did it at a friends Chevy dealership. They covered the cost of the ribs, and then I got not only practice, but, they paid me extra, and provided me a coupon for service. Not a bad deal overall....win win situation.....
Boy, did that just turn a giant light bulb on for me!

Thanks!!

I'm new to the bretheren and i already feel like i got some useful information. I never even thought of a sponsor, All i thought of was how to break the news to my wife about the money i was using to go and compete.

We just got out first sponsor, and it is with a national brand.
It is a great start, and we will be looking for ways to make sure our sponsor feels like they got a good deal at the end of the year, so hopefully they will extend the sponsorship into the next year.

Some of the ideas I have seen here will be a big help.

Thanks all.

A little tougher in the current climate to go after straight cash sponsorships. We have Tel-Tru signing on to sponsor us for a second year, they will be providing us with gauges for two of our new WSMs. This is certainly a case of who you know/where you are. I stumbled into their offices last year not even realizing it on a completely unrelated work matter. As I looked around the office and saw posters with BBQ smokers advertising temp gauges it dawned on me, a conversation with their marketing department and the rest is history.

We also have a local t-shirt company sponsoring us, they give us shirts and we put their logo on everything.

We also have a local beverage distributor, they give us the means to get drunk and we put their logo on everything.

We also have a local company that sells grilling and bbq stuff, they provide us with wood chunks, charcoal, etc.

You then have to communicate the benefit to the sponsor. The above companies gt their logos on all our signage and catering events, website and t-shirts. This translates to thousands of views. Local companies benefit because three of the comps we are in are within their immediate market area.

Some calls in competition to point to help as well, the more the sponsor perceives viewership of their logo/product the better. In my emails requesting support again for 2010 it definitely helped to have some Top 10s for them to look at.

Back