The perfect Bar-B-Q pickle. Suggestions and thoughts.

S

Smiter Q

Last week I did a Hot Dog thread, and got quite a few responses. Wondering what your favorite pickles are to serve along with the grilled and BBQ foods. I like both dill and sweet. I love naturally fermented dills that do not use any vinegar. Recently I found my dill pickle NIRVANA, with the brand Bubbies. Oh my.. are these amazing. They are crisp, naturally tangy/sour, NO vinegar, and just the right amount of salt. Have not had pickles this good since I left the NY area some years ago. Their bread and butter are amazing as well.

So my pickle picks...
DILL = Bubbies
Bread and Butter = Bubbies

prod_pure_kosher_dills_lg.jpg
prod_bread_and_butter_lg.jpg

Link to their site: http://www.bubbies.com/bubbies_products.shtml

So, now it is the Brethren's turn to share.
What are your favorite pickles to go along with your Que and Grill food?
Relishes can be added too, as well as homemade pickles.. which I will try next summer hopefully.

If you have photos of homemade ones... post em up!

My homemade ones are the BEST I ever tasted but Wickles come in a distant 2nd.

Hoss, I have seen some photos of your vegetable grow threads in the past. AMAZING!
Are you using homegrown? If so, I would think they are as you say!

Also... what type of cukes do you use? Sweet or dill?

Hey, Brian! I didn't know you were a NY pickle lover. Me, too! And I haven't had a really good one since I left. Finding a really good Jewish deli in York, PA is a tough mission. Mission impossible, is more like it. lol If I could find a good brand that's available at the supermarket, I'd buy it. Haven't really found one that floats my boat thus far, so for me, it's still the deli ones back home in NY for me. :wink:

The best commercial pickle

Last week I did a Hot Dog thread, and got quite a few responses. Wondering what your favorite pickles are to serve along with the grilled and BBQ foods. I like both dill and sweet. I love naturally fermented dills that do not use any vinegar. Recently I found my dill pickle NIRVANA, with the brand Bubbies. Oh my.. are these amazing. They are crisp, naturally tangy/sour, NO vinegar, and just the right amount of salt. Have not had pickles this good since I left the NY area some years ago. Their bread and butter are amazing as well.

So my pickle picks...
DILL = Bubbies
Bread and Butter = Bubbies

prod_pure_kosher_dills_lg.jpg
prod_bread_and_butter_lg.jpg

Link to their site: http://www.bubbies.com/bubbies_products.shtml

I agree 100 per cent--ever day with sandwich.

:p:p

guy

Publix carries this brand, they are great. Their sauerkraut is also really good, crunchy and tangy.

dsc00923a.jpg

With the exception of bread and butter jalapenos, I mostly like dill flavored pickled veggies. I make a big assortment, and because I like crunchy, I prefer "refrigerator" pickles. No processing needed, but they must live in the fridge and are good for 4 to 6 months.

When it comes to storebought ones I like brands like Claussen, again for the crunch.​

My favorites are the dills in the stainless bowls on the tables at Chompies in Phoenix AZ.

Hoss, I have seen some photos of your vegetable grow threads in the past. AMAZING!
Are you using homegrown? If so, I would think they are as you say!

Also... what type of cukes do you use? Sweet or dill?

Thanks for the kind words on the veggies.I do use homegrown cucs.I make a spicy bread and butter and a spicy garlic dill.The variety of cucs I grow are Straight 8.I still do the Old School liming so they will stay crisp when processed.

My homemade ones are the BEST I ever tasted but Wickles come in a distant 2nd.

With the exception of bread and butter jalapenos, I mostly like dill flavored pickled veggies. I make a big assortment, and because I like crunchy, I prefer "refrigerator" pickles. No processing needed, but they must live in the fridge and are good for 4 to 6 months.

I would love it if you could post your recipes. I've been wanting to try pickles for a while, but haven't looked into it yet.

best pickles I had were out in texas and were homemade, they were called buckhorn pickles and were awesome.

Zilla knows what I'm talking about

I would love it if you could post your recipes. I've been wanting to try pickles for a while, but haven't looked into it yet.

I go with Mrs Wages Refrigerator Mix. Very simple process as far as prepping the veggies, mixing and heating the liquid (you supply the vinegar), sterilizing the jars etc. No processing in water bath, they must stay in the fridge.

Here is the link. The "refrigerator mixes" are clearly marked and come in the same flavors as the processed pickle mixes. I prefer the Kosher Dill over the Polish Dill. When I use the bread and butter mix for jalapenos or onions, I reduce the sugar called for.

http://mrswages.com/

Small family owned company out here in Southern California by the name of Hoopers Pickles makes an excellent spicy dill. Yummy! My wifes favorite pickles when she was pregnant.

Nothing really beats home made, but Ba-Tampte Half Sour pickles are great. Not as tart as a kosher dill, they have a real fresh taste that is absolutely perfect up against the strong flavor of some good Q.
http://www.batampte.com/

GFS has a sliced dill pickle in the refrigerated case in a gallon jug. love them :thumb:

Found the Bubbies Dill and Bread & Butter at a higher end grocery near here. Bought some today and these things are GREAT!!!!!!!!

In our house Claussen pickles are the pickle of choice. Specifically either the kosher dill HALVES if being served on the side, or the sandwhich slices if being served ON the food. Their sauerkraut is also very good. The only "sweet pickle" anything we eat/use is sweet pickle relish...usually just plain old Heinz brand.

Back