Bacon: Crispy or Chewy?

Perfect bacon is neither chewy nor crispy. Perfect bacon is right at the sweet spot where one becomes the other.

Chewy of course. Crispy can loose flavor. I'll eat either one, as long as one starts with quality bacon.

Frying bacon is an artform. It's a food of love. Crispy is the only answer BUT the proper crispy is approached gently and slowly. Try to rush it and ya end up with scorched/burnt. It doesn't have to go that way. It just doesn't.

I like crispy! But I like burnt stuff. I'll eat it less than crispy, or a little less done, I'll eat it barely done. Oh heck....who am I kidding..I'll eat that bacon :grin:

My mom used to cook bacon extra crispy so I'm not a fan. I like mine cooked 'til the fat is rendered but still kinda chewy. I cook it in the oven if I have time.

I want to try sous vide then pan fry but I haven't gotten around it yet.

Neither. Crispy is overcooked and chewy is under.

I cook my bacon in the oven. Fight me:boxing:
I used to cook it in the oven, but now do it in the pellet grill at a lower temp - around 250°F. If I'm in a hurry, I'll do it at 350°F. Keeps the smell out of the house.

I've also been known to deep fry it on occasion.

Agreed!

For me, the perfect strip of bacon is both chewy and crispy, with a ratio of roughly 60% crisp to 40% chew.

I will add one addendum to this:

When making pig candy, a light, even crisp across the entire strip of bacon is ideal, especially when making pig candy cinnamon pecan rolls:

Pig%20Candy%20Cinnamon%20Pecan%20Rolls%20Close%20Up%201_zpscrybdn0u.jpg

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233022

More on the crisp side rather than the chewy side. Definitely not wriggly. The fat must not have the soft, jelly texture of fat or I will nearly spit it out. It's a texture thing from my childhood.

I prefer it have a little chew to it for eating on it's own

If it's for salad or twice baked potatoes then I like it more crispy where it crumbles easily.

MAK set at 365 degrees
Put bacon on upper rack.
Season with Oakridge SPOGOS.
Hey Siri set timer for 8 minutes
turn bacon over
Hey Siri set timer for 8 minutes
Remove from MAK
Perfection

i used to wake up next to a mixing bowl of chopped up raw bacon and assorted bacon accessories in my wildest years.

i like it borderline chewy/crispy orange.

Back