My 1st Post and In Need of Advice

Beaumont

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I would love everyone's input on my potential upgrade.
I have a kamado smoker (Grill Dome), and it is a great cooker but I cant cook for a big party because of space.
I was always planning on buying an AZ BBQ Outfitters Santa Monica grill, but I am now looking at the Sedona BBQ Pit.

Video

stacks-image-5714a50-500x374.jpg
My next smoker will definatly be a stick burner and it will be VERY new for me. With respect to a vertical non-offset smokers, what if anything is the biggest issue? and should I stick to an offset horizontal smoker?

I have no problem spending the bucks but I want to make sure I am making a good decision based on good data.

Thanks!!

I can't speak to that setup as I e never owned one. It looks like a cabinet smoker like spicewone or humphry. If your looking for a versitile offset with greater capacity, look into the Shirley pits or the klose backyard chef. Those give you both horizontal AND Vertical cook Chambers in one pit a offer nd are the most versitile I've owned.

Direct firebox Vertical vs offset Vertical -
Pros: smaller foot print, lil more efficient, easier to get even temps ( offset verticals can be hot on firebox side) and Sexier. :heh:
Cons: no where to preheat splits but that doesn’t cause me any issues.....
And Yes I’ve had Both direct firebox and offset firebox verticals..........

Don't know that particular pit, but do know AZ BBQ and their work is top notch. That's a beast of a cooker. Dave and Sandra are great to work with. They'll do all sorts of customizations to make the cooker exactly what you need it to be.

I go back and forth between the Sedona and a Shirley Fabrication setup for cookers that I really want -- and probably never buy as I don't have any place to put either. I haven't used one but from what I've seen and read I would have no concerns with the quality and performance of the AZ BBQ unit. If you were only worried about smoking there are other options but given your comment that you started this by looking for a Santa Maria, I don't know of anything that has the flexibility of the Sedona.

If you go that route, you thinking about buying it with the Boothill or Scottsdale.>? As I recall, they'll build it with either.

I go back and forth between the Sedona and a Shirley Fabrication setup for cookers that I really want -- and probably never buy as I don't have any place to put either. I haven't used one but from what I've seen and read I would have no concerns with the quality and performance of the AZ BBQ unit. If you were only worried about smoking there are other options but given your comment that you started this by looking for a Santa Maria, I don't know of anything that has the flexibility of the Sedona.

If you go that route, you thinking about buying it with the Boothill or Scottsdale.>? As I recall, they'll build it with either.

Thanks Dweverett,
I have quotes for a Tuscan grill next to it like this:
http://www.azbbqgrills.com/page-3/files/stacks-image-67021e6-350x350.jpg

I was going to buy it with a Tuscan Santa Maria style grill. I didnt see the point with a Boothill given it is a smoker too.
stacks-image-67021e6-350x350.jpg

I was going to buy it with a Tuscan Santa Maria style grill. I didnt see the point with a Boothill given it is a smoker too.
stacks-image-67021e6-350x350.jpg

Good plan. I had the same thinking which led me to the Scottsdale but I hadn't considered losing the lid and saving money with the Tuscan. Having a lid adds flexibility even if it's not being used as a smoker -- but, there is a big difference in price between the two and I assume that carries over into the Sedona configuration.

Ignoring once again that I have no space for either. :mad:

Back