• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

SM Rub & BH Sauce Suggestions

93vpmod

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I received a package of rubs and sauces today, mostly the Simply Marvelous variety pack, Blues Hog sauces, the Smokin' Guns-Sweet Heat, and Plowboys Yardbird.

While I have seen numerous different combinations on ribs, I was looking for some suggestions for two racks of spares for my next cook...any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 99
I like to put on a layer of the Sweet and Spicy, not too heavy. Let it sit for 15 minutes, then put on a layer of Cherry, Let it melt a bit, then onto the cooker. Sauce with the Original Blues Hog cut with about 10%-15% cider vinegar about 5 minutes before taking off the cooker.

I like to use the SM Season All and the SM Spicey Apple, about 1/2 & 1/2. And if I want the Bues Hog sauce, I'll use 1/2 & 1/2 Original and Tennessee Red.

You have lots a great stuff there, just play with it all until you find a combination that hits your hot button!

Enjoy,
KC

Incidentally, I have never used the Smokin' Guns Sweet Heat, but, I use the SG Hot, and I like to use it over the SM Cherry, Dizzy Pig or Yardbird, as it adds a little punch.

Used the Smokin' Guns and both Blues Hog sauces 50/50 on some smoked chicken from yesterday.

Awesome! Great flavor, some sweet, a little vinegar and that little bit of heat that snuck up on you. Two white buns, slaw, and some pickle slices...

I used the SM cherry rub and sauced with BH original with great results. The BH had some people scratching their heads the first time I used it because it was so different than our local sauces. The next time I cooked they begged for the BH to be on my food.

Love the BH mix... 2/3 Original 1/3 Tennessee red. Yardbird is great on ribs as well as chicken. Bit salty if you put on a heavy layer... sometimes put on a layer of Cherry first. (on ribs).

The Blue Hog is definitely a winner, though it looks like you have Tennessee Red and the new Smokey Mountain sauce. Too bad you didn't get any Original as that is my personal favorite.

I would try some of the SM Cherry rub with a light BHTR glaze right towards the end.

Too bad you didn't get any Original as that is my personal favorite.

Sadly, I ordered the wrong item...thought I was getting the BH original. I guess it gives me a reason to order more to sample. (I can already hear the wife!)

Sadly, I ordered the wrong item...thought I was getting the BH original. I guess it gives me a reason to order more to sample. (I can already hear the wife!)

Well I don't know about around by Springfield but here in STL Shop n' Save and Schnucks carry the Original. Last time I stocked up at the Schnucks by me it was $3.98 a jar. Not a bad price and no online ordering. In fact, you could just add it to the wifey's grocery list!:becky: She would never know! :laugh:

Go with the Smoky Mountain and Tennessee Red mixed, it is also good. I just used a little of the Smoky Mountain on some pork, it was quite good.

Back