• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket help

brandonh1987

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm in need of some brisket help.. I use a big steel keg and have cooked probably 10 briskest so far. I trim it to about a quarter inch and still at the end of the cook when I slice there is still tons of fat. Should I trim more or do people just cut this off at the end... Also my smoke ring or lack of one. Why don't I have one. I have a few pieces with bits of a ring but that's it. I smoke about 250 and have 5 chunks of wood.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47586
Pretty decent article I found about smoke rings. There's plenty more on this site if you're keen on looking.

As far as the non rendered fat coming out a lot of people (myself included) tend to cut out some of the fat that's between the point and flat as well. I like to do this so I can make beef tallow from it rather than have it end up in my trash can.

If the fat aint rendering your not cooking it long enough. I trim my FC to 1/4" when the brisket is truly done it is about 1/16- 1/8" Don't dis the fat that is where the flavor comes from.

after trimming
DSCF0014_v1.jpg

after cooking
DSCF0017.jpg

slice from the flat
DSCF0019.jpg

I think I'm cooking it long enough, the internal temp is 200 :/ I'm cooking flats not a whole packer if that makes a difference

BD is right, fat is flavor, render that fat just right and you got some bbq heaven. Go with whole packers too. Don't forget to season the bottom.

You don't have much of a smoke ring cause kegs don't burn hardly any fuel.. less combustion = less smoke ring. If you have a salty rub and let it set on the brisket for about 6 hours that will help a little. Celery salt helps too. This brisket was cooked on a keg ( I fixed my slices before turn in!)

2012-11-10145821.jpg

I recently picked up a used 22 WSM and been using that more lately for briskets.. not really for smoke ring purposes but more for temp control. In my case, my kegs have a tendency to get too hot if I'm not super careful, while most people have the opposite problem.

If the fat aint rendering your not cooking it long enough. I trim my FC to 1/4" when the brisket is truly done it is about 1/16- 1/8" Don't dis the fat that is where the flavor comes from.

after trimming
DSCF0014_v1.jpg

after cooking
DSCF0017.jpg

slice from the flat
DSCF0019.jpg

Pretty good looking brisket there . . . .

Hmm I wonder why I still have lots of fat on top. I'm defiantly cooking it long enough. Perhaps I'm not trimming it enough.

Hmm I wonder why I still have lots of fat on top. I'm defiantly cooking it long enough. Perhaps I'm not trimming it enough.

Why are you defiant? :-D

If the fat that you are referring to is the fat cap, that won't render away. it will soften but that's about it. Some folks slice the brisket with the fat cap on and trim it away when eating (or eat it), others take it off before slicing. Your call.

I would not trim more than down to 1/4" off a flat's fat cap. You need that fat there. If you are cooking just flats, that is the only fat on the meat.

Cooking to internal 200F, that may, or may not be cooked enough. As for smoke ring, the comment about how clean a keg burns in the answer. If you simply must have the smoke ring, put the meat on while the cooker is cooler, around 215F, and let the temperature rise up, the cooler cooker will be burning less efficiently, you will get a little more ring that way.

Anybody tried tender quick? If so how much should you use? And how long should you keep it on? I just don't want my pork or brisket to have a hammy texture?

Back