Turtle recipes?

Smokin Turkey

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've got a huge snapper here I want to q up big not sure at all what I'm doing. Anyone have a cleaning method and a recipe to cook over fire?

Only times I've ever cooked a snapping turtle, I actually didn't Q it.

I cut its head off, threw it in a pot of boiling water for about ten minutes.
Then I cleaned it, and cut it up, and then I pan fried the pieces.
Made a stew out of it, used onions, garlic, taters, can't remember what all was in it.

Just remember snapper being really good.

I've only made a stew with the ones I've done and used a slow cooker for it.

I remember the first one we tried to butcher. My wife took one look at the process and promptly declared she'd have a burger instead!

of course when you said you had a huge snapper my first thought was to caulk it!, then upon further reading, I have never myself done one, my Dad used to make soup out of turtles. He used to par boil it whole and then clean it and cut the meat up into small pieces and simmer with whatever for about the whole day. I can remember he used to put vermouth on top of it before he served it. Actually wasn't to bad, also wasn't on my list of make sure to learn this for future use.

Cooter soup

1 large cooter
1 lg onion, chopped
salt to taste
2 tsp allspice
12 whole cloves
red pepper to taste
3 tbs dry sherry
4 qt water
1 potato diced
2 tbs worcestershire
flour to thicken

Kill cooter by chopping off head. Let it stand inverted for five minutes until drained, plunge in to boiling water for 5 min , then clean turtle.
boil meat, onion and potato in the water and cook to meat falls off bones-about 2 hrs.
remove bones and skin ,then cut up meat in small pieces
return meat to stock ,add spices and simmer
brown flour in skillet, mix with 1 cup of stock, add to thicken soup
add sherry

From Charleston Receiepts

Last edited:
Google "turtle sauce piquante" look for the site with "mr quebedeuax"
in the description...it gives good info on turtle cooking

T-Man knows what a Lagger Head Cooter is...and sure aint a Terrapin Hahahaha

I catch them on the pearl River here in Mississippi all the time...And you'd better get ready to cook something else the day before you attemp a Turtle..Because he will practically take a whole day up to cook!!! And cleaning that sucka is a real chore...You gotta really like it to clean it, is all I'm saying

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Cowgirl!!!!!!!! This is up your alley........ I prolly could eat this hold any bread...

I decided to release the monster into the stream behind my place as I ended up going out on some sales calls today. I'll recapture him someday. I'm going to add his shell to my next theme pit build which I'm amassing the parts for now. :-D

Hey Brian,

Did a pig roast in the hood a few years ago. We had these two big snappers form the lake. It took forever to clean them out. The pig rocked. The bear kabobs were very good. The grilled snapper was one of the worst things I ever ate. I like turtle soup but I would never recommend cooking them on live fire.

Back