Party for 40, is my shopping list OK?

kyle corn

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm cooking for my friend's daughter's 2nd birthday party. They're expecting about 40 people total, but I think that includes the little kids showing up. They want brisket, pulled pork, baked beans
and mac & cheese. They're handling food for the little kids as well as veggies/salads/extra sides.

Here's what I'm gonna pick up tonight unless someone chimes in that it isn't enough.

1 large packer (14lbs or more?)
2-4 butts (shooting for 25-30lbs uncooked)
4lbs dried pasta for homemade mac & cheese
7-10lbs canned pork and beans (to be doctored, probably into Keri's Hog Apple)

Am I looking OK or will I need more?

I find the amount of food you need is directly proportional to how well you cook. If it were me, I'd probably add another packer, :becky: but I also like leftovers. I'm sure you're fine with what you have. And yes, probably too many beans.

For 40 adult?

1 large packer (14lbs or more?)
Sounds good

2-4 butts (shooting for 25-30lbs uncooked)
I'd do 3-4 butts

4lbs dried pasta for homemade mac & cheese
Depends on recipe I guess

7-10lbs canned pork and beans (to be doctored, probably into Keri's Hog Apple)
Way too much, 2- 10# cans of beans and half a 10#can of apples or peaches and you will have a lot left over.

I use peaches in syrup instead of peach pie filling the cost is way less and turns out just as good. You could do apples instead.

OK, I went with a 15lb packer, I have 4 butts totalling 30 lbs, 1 7lb can of Bush's baked beans for doctoring and 3 lbs of pasta for mac & cheese. I feel confident.

I figured that was going to be too much beans, but that large can was only $6.50 at Smart N Final so I figured too much is better than not enough.

Thanks guys!

Kyle

Just got back, the food was a hit! The brisket went QUICK but there was plenty of leftover pulled pork, even though I only cooked 3 butts. The mac and cheese went quick as well, I didn't quite use all 4 lbs, but I filled a large foil container. There was a bunch of beans leftover, which I anticipated. I got a lot of requests to cater parties, I guess I really should go legit, as today was just a favor for a friend.

Back