Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Oh, I got somebody to pull the permit, but the mechanical inspector hasn't approved it yet because he wants to "research" it first. Apparently he's afraid I'm going to burn the entire county down or something. But for fark's sake, it's just a self-contained unit attached to a concrete wall. It isn't rocket science.

Dude, I'm so sorry. Did he give you any idea how long he thinks he needs to research it?

Oh, I got somebody to pull the permit, but the mechanical inspector hasn't approved it yet because he wants to "research" it first. Apparently he's afraid I'm going to burn the entire county down or something. But for fark's sake, it's just a self-contained unit attached to a concrete wall. It isn't rocket science.
Thats really frustrating, we are all rooting for you!

Dude, I'm so sorry. Did he give you any idea how long he thinks he needs to research it?

I talked to him yesterday and asked if we could get this wrapped up today, but he said he probably won't be able to get it until Monday.

The worst is that he keeps telling me that he's not trying to be difficult and is doing everything he can to get us open ASAP. But what a load of crap, don't tell me that and drag your feet and keep giving excuses.

I talked to him yesterday and asked if we could get this wrapped up today, but he said he probably won't be able to get it until Monday.

The worst is that he keeps telling me that he's not trying to be difficult and is doing everything he can to get us open ASAP. But what a load of crap, don't tell me that and drag your feet and keep giving excuses.

Exactly!

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!!:mad:

I wish you all the best and hope this gets resolved, SOON!:thumb:

that sucks..
in my town - the inspectors are not allowed to drag their feet. If we call for an inspection, they have 48 hours total to get on site...

that sucks..
in my town - the inspectors are not allowed to drag their feet. If we call for an inspection, they have 48 hours total to get on site...
True, it is Friday, but is there anyone you can call to check if this is true for you?

Hang in there, it will be over soon enough and you will be slinging food. In an hour or two, I will be telling another budding restauranteur the exact same thing. This is the phase that sucks. Interestingly, most of the projects I do now, that involve multiple approvals, we now automatically roll an attorney to the front of the team. That is what is has come to out here.

Hang in there Brother, I know inspectors can be a pain in the arse.
I truly hope to see you Monday for dinner though :becky:

I read your FB post this morning. That sucks. As a small business owner myself, I know how hard it can be sometimes. Just remember, if it was easy, everybody would do it. Remember what made you want to do this in the first place. You have too much invested in this (time, money, sanity) to give up now. Keep plugging away and in a couple of months when you are busy as F, you will start to forget about all the problems and delays. Your employees can see you are doing everything you can.

Sorry, going to rant here. Feel free to ignore. :rant:

True. However, the government does not need to be making it any harder than it needs to be. Sure, there is legitimate reasons for some regulation. As long as he is not serving up a side of salmonella, why does it make a difference whether or not he mops from a bucket or a sink? Most regulations now days are just barriers of entry to keep uppity entrepreneurs from upsetting the apple cart.

If this was yet another McDonalds, you can bet money they would have been opened by now. "Oh... everything looks ok Mr. Franchise Owner" *wink* *wink*

Sorry, going to rant here. Feel free to ignore. :rant:

True. However, the government does not need to be making it any harder than it needs to be. Sure, there is legitimate reasons for some regulation. As long as he is not serving up a side of salmonella, why does it make a difference whether or not he mops from a bucket or a sink? Most regulations now days are just barriers of entry to keep uppity entrepreneurs from upsetting the apple cart.

If this was yet another McDonalds, you can bet money they would have been opened by now. "Oh... everything looks ok Mr. Franchise Owner" *wink* *wink*
As a former inspector, there is another side.

Suppose the mechanical inspector signs off on the smoker, and he has no experience with them. Then, down the road, the thing catches fire and the kitchen workers can't get out. Someone dies. And the owner of said hypothetical business says 'well, the inspector approved it'. If he did, and there is a proven flaw that he missed, the City is now on the hook. No inspector should ever sign off on work that he either knows is defective, or does not know enough to properly inspect. The person who screwed this up is the original general contractor, who should have known what needed to be done, and done it. Had that happened, then the restaurant would be open.

It isn't always the governments fault.

Kind of interesting story about bucket or sink. A local Asian restaurant was discovered to be thawing chicken and fish in the mop sink.

Mention "Mop-Sink Chicken" for supper and everyone knew where to meet. Still do.

I've got a friend that has owned or been part owner in BBQ-Mexican and Italian restaurants. A couple tears (years) ago he got out. He now travels the SW consulting and teaching managers how to interact with customers, vendors government officials and employees for a large chain.

If you stay with it, you too will have that skill set

I agree with Landarc. I could not blame the guy for not signing off on something he is not 100% certain about

If he is just dragging his feet because he would rather go to a Christmas party or something thats another matter...

Now not to start a problem here, but this is a commercially produced smoker.
So if there were any "mishaps" that would be on the producer of the product. Not the city.
Does he go into this much for a gas oven that's commercially produced?
does any inspector?

Now not to start a problem here, but this is a commercially produced smoker.
So if there were any "mishaps" that would be on the producer of the product. Not the city.
Does he go into this much for a gas oven that's commercially produced?
does any inspector?

yeah...but there is still the installation.

I just had a wood stove installed in my cabin.

It still had to be permitted and inspected by the county. It was a commercially produced stove, but the install can be balled up by the person putting it in very easily.

Yes, today, the City inspector out here realized that the gas line at the coffee shop was encapsulated in concrete, so he required a vaccum check, pressure check for the exhaust and venting tube, and checked to make sure the gas line was insulated at the entry and exit points with a foam collar. And that is for a line that is capped and may not be used again. It isn't just the smoker, it is the connection, the feed, the fact that electrical and a large gas line is feeding it.

I don't agree that this should have taken so long, or been so convoluted, but, I do see that a proper inspection has value.

Yes, today, the City inspector out here realized that the gas line at the coffee shop was encapsulated in concrete, so he required a vaccum check, pressure check for the exhaust and venting tube, and checked to make sure the gas line was insulated at the entry and exit points with a foam collar. And that is for a line that is capped and may not be used again. It isn't just the smoker, it is the connection, the feed, the fact that electrical and a large gas line is feeding it.

I don't agree that this should have taken so long, or been so convoluted, but, I do see that a proper inspection has value.

Would've been nice if the inspectors had been that thurough at Brown's Ferry...

Yes I agree that inspectors are needed and in most applications serious inspection is needed. Gas lines are one of these. As if they're encased in concrete they can begin to leak.
Brian your stove needed to be 3 ft from any combustable material and the vent needed to meet code. This cooker is self contained and through a concrete wall.
Hence venting is outside and nothing it's near is combustable.

Doesn't the smoker open into the building?

Yes I agree that inspectors are needed and in most applications serious inspection is needed. Gas lines are one of these. As if they're encased in concrete they can begin to leak.
Brian your stove needed to be 3 ft from any combustable material and the vent needed to meet code. This cooker is self contained and through a concrete wall.
Hence venting is outside and nothing it's near is combustable.

there was more to it than that.

the chimney had to be a certain height at a certain distance from the roof peak.

The chimney had to have extra support since it was over a certain height where it stuck out of the roof

The stove had to be bolted to the floor

the stove had to be grounded to the electrical system

the entire system had to be tested for leaks and to make sure it vented properly

The stove needed a fresh air intake since it is in a mfg home

My whole point is whatever its being installed, it has to be done and inspected correctly

Its quite possible this inspector has never even seen this kind of installation before. Maybe he needs to do his homework to make sure he knows what he is looking at

thats all I am saying

I am not comparing his installation to mine, thats not my point

Back