View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
Bettermj
Found some matches.

I've been out hunting in the woods the past few weeks and so I've been MIA. Some of the questions I had were pretty simple to answer had I continued to proceed my project before typing away here. I've found a lot of help here still, so thank you.

I'm almost done. I decided to order a charcoal basket off ebay and focus on completing the barrel. I found a barrel hinge on Amazon. I also found a few step drill bits that weren't available in stores near me. Seems I've spent more money buying tools than actual parts for the smoker.

I've found that getting a smooth paint job is more difficult than I anticipated. My FIL said that having it sandblasted was helpful but it increased the surface area significantly. I painted the entire barrel with a high heat white paint first. It took 2 cans and still was splotchy in some areas. I let it dry over the week and tried painting it purple and gold yesterday (1 can of purple and 1 can of gold). I tried following the advice I've seen on proper spray painting techniques but the patches drive me crazy. I ordered 2 more cans of both colors to try to better blend them in.

I also want to paint the stove pipes and caps. They are galvanized. Any recommendations for the barrel and/or the pipes? I'll see if I can post a pic or two here.
Bettermj is offline   Reply With Quote