View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #10705
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyJ View Post
OK, got me a weed burner and burned the inside liner of the drum. It did not do too great of a job. So I got some really aggressive sanding disc and a wire wheel for my angle grinder. Still had to do a little "drum diving" but it went pretty good. The drum still has some of the liner left in it in spots! Does this surface have to be completely clean or will a couple of good hot burns finish it up? I would say all the line is about 98% removed.
I can't tell you what to do, but I left a few spots of the tan liner in mine. I figured if the exceptionally hot fires I burned in there, and a couple of cans of eazy-off and scrubbing didn't take it all off a 300 degree cook wasn't gonna release enough toxins for me to worry about. This is in no way advocating anyone to leave any liner in their drum. I'm just telling you what I did. I'm sure there are many people out there who are cooking on drums with the liner still 100% intact. They just aren't posting here. Of all the threads and posts on here about removing the liner, I have yet to read where anyone can definitively prove a fully cured lining is harmful to cook on. It's all relative - you clean the barrel down to bare metal and then cook with wood smoke which contains many known carcinogens. On the other hand, a little extra work getting the liner completely out just to stay on the safe side ain't gonna hurt you.
Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote